5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Transmission blows out in 5th gear!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM
PNK SLP00

Default Transmission blows out in 5th gear!!!!!!!

After having a great Thanksgiving weekend with my family 500 miles away from were i live, I drive back to Ohio and my tranny blows out. I noticed when i slowly shifted into 4th it was grinding (its never done that before).

I was just going 75 in 5th when my rear end starts vibrating rear bad and i start slowing down and my car stalls. I pull over to the shoulder and i smell burnt clutch really really bad. All the gear were locked and when i did finally put it in 1st to move over more away from traffic the clutch wouldnt grab at all. So its at a mechanic somewhere in northern MI.

Would anyone know what it could be, if so please help??

thank
-ben
Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

sounds like your suspicions are correct. toasted your clutch. do you recall if your rpms were going up as your were slowing down?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
PNK SLP00

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
sounds like your suspicions are correct. toasted your clutch. do you recall if your rpms were going up as your were slowing down?
I'm not to sure, was just feeling the rear end rumble and driving to the slow lane and the car stalled. But I hope its not the tranny cause the only shop that sells one up here in the GREAT NORTH is used for $950.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNK SLP00
I'm not to sure, was just feeling the rear end rumble and driving to the slow lane and the car stalled. But I hope its not the tranny cause the only shop that sells one up here in the GREAT NORTH is used for $950.
well pop open the case and look yourself. if its the trans i'll rebuild it for 100 bucks. you pay the ride plus the kit and she'll be like new. considering it is the trans...otherwise it's sounding like the clutch so far.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
PNK SLP00

sadly its at a shop just siting there until thursday. I dont have any tools were i am now. Not in the best situation.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNK SLP00
sadly its at a shop just siting there until thursday. I dont have any tools were i am now. Not in the best situation.
hm, no good....make sure they show you whats wrong once they open the can-o-worms. hopefully its just the clutch

expect a hefty fee either way since a shop will be doing this.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

where at in ohio are you
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
PNK SLP00

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
hm, no good....make sure they show you whats wrong once they open the can-o-worms. hopefully its just the clutch

expect a hefty fee either way since a shop will be doing this.
yeah ill be taken a bus back to ohio for school, my dad will be looking after it till i can get back up to michigan after its fixed. The guy working on it just rolled it in to the shop, didnt undo anything and already said its not the clutch its the trans. Buts idk cause it smelled like the clutch fryed when it locked up and wont grab in any gears.

ill hope for the best but im all ready thinking its going to be around 600 bucks with labor. Im thinking a "new-used" rebuilt trans with no clutch for $1250 is to much? Thats almost what i payed for the car so im kinda in a hard spot lol
Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
PNK SLP00

Originally Posted by tohoopty
where at in ohio are you

I live in Ohio but the cars in northern Michigan.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

well i was wondering how far you lived from me cause i was willing to help you out if you weren't to far away from me.that is if you had your car towed back to where you live

Quick Reply: Transmission blows out in 5th gear!!!!!!!