5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Door Hinge Removal - Hinge pin fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM
RazorBreak

Question Door Hinge Removal - Hinge pin fix

Howdy,

Has anyone removed their door to repair the hinge pins?

I have my nose and fender off the car.

I've been trying to remove the hinge pins, and those little bastards are in there solid!!! I've cut the pins in half and grinded down the stock bushing lips, but, still can't knock the pins out. I was thinking of just taking the door off, as the hinges are right there, complete access. Then maybe drilling out the old pins.

Has anyone gone down this route? Other than needing a friend to help hold the door and realign, are there any concerns or tricks to removing the hinges? To me, it seems it would be much easier to access the pins, as that space it tight, and it's hard to get any tools in there without wrecking what little good paint I have left. I also figured, it'll be much easier to touch up the hinge paint. But, before I get myself in a situation I can't get out of, I was looking for some advise.

Also, if anyone has a good recommendation for getting tough up paint, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Help is necessary, the door is heavy.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

if you got it tore down that far just remove the hinges and then take the pins out once the door is off
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM
RazorBreak

OK....well, i'm off to the garage! Hopefully, taking the door off (and trying to realign) won't be any worse than trying to take those rusted / broken hinge pins out (with the door on)!

Wish me luck!

........Back from the garage! Cold as hell in NJ. Guess i won't be getting her on the road before Tuesday (new rim and tire day). I noticed some sealer/adhesive behind the door hinges. Me thinks i'll need some of that before replacing, so, project on hold for a moment! I did find my trusty .....uh,eeeerrr, worthless (well, not completely) Chilton Manual. The instruction in the Chilton Manual for this job is basically: 1- remove /2-replace. Well....duh! Thanks! However, it did offer two bits of information that may be useful to someone:
- For the back of the door hinge use SEALER E4G213-A or ADHESIVE M2G150-A. Neither of which i'm able to find on the web, nor, have i located a substitute. So, any help here would be appreciated.
- The torque for the hinge bolts are all 18-26 LB-FT (25-35 Nm)

Last edited by RazorBreak; 12-05-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 12-11-2010, 05:56 PM
RazorBreak

Default Back in from the garage again....

......Lets just, i have the pins for both doors (but, only need the driver side done)....and thats the only one getting done! NEVER AGAIN! Ripped through every bit dremel makes x5! Those MF's did not want to come out! 6 hours later.....door still not on! takin a break for today!