5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

GT molding hole locations

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Default GT molding hole locations

I bought two new fenders for my car as the ones on there had some wrinkles and dents.

I bought LX fenders because I didn't want to pay and extra $80 for holes I could drill myself. But there's a problem(ish)

The holes at the back of the fenders are off 1/4" and the left fender has additional holes the right fender doesn't have. I'm talking about the ones that were on my car, not the new ones (as the new one's don't have the molding holes)

Does anyone have a diagram with the measurements for where the holes are suppose to be?

Also, the holes are different sizes... Can someone tell me which fender is correct?
The gray one is from the driver side, white from passenger side.

(front)

(back)

(back)

(front)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

The gray fenders are what you need for the ground effect of the GT.

The front of the gray fender has the correct hole locations.

The rear of the gray fender looks as if your missing the 2 holes for the thin metal clip.

Possible missing holes?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Yes those are holes. Both fenders came off of my car, which had GT ground effects on it. Are there 4 holes on the front of the fender that aren't used? Because the one off of the passenger side of my car (white) only has the 5 holes you see.

Aren't those the only holes that are actually used for the clips on the front? Do you by any chance have the measurements for the location of the holes?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

I'll try to see how many holes you need tomorrow.
Sorry but I wouldn't know the measurement the holes.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
I'll try to see how many holes you need tomorrow.
Sorry but I wouldn't know the measurement the holes.
Thanks, it would be appreciated. My fender extensions are hiding from me in the back of the barn haha.

I searched on corral, and someone said there was a thread about it. However, I couldn't find the actual thread. Also, It wouldn't allow me to post on there because I have to be approved first...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

These are the holes you need to use after shining a light and using a mirror to peak between the fender and splash shield, there was no way I could get any measurements for you.

This is the small clip at the rear of the front fender
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

These are the holes you need to use after shining a light and using a mirror to peak between the fender and splash shield, there was no way I could get any measurements for you.

This is the small clip at the rear of the front fender
Thanks. I wonder what the extra holes are there for. I have all of the clips and everything, so that's not a problem. It's just a matter of the hole location as my left fender and right fender differ just a little bit haha. I think one was replaced and drilled by someone previously.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Five0hFox
Thanks. I wonder what the extra holes are there for. I have all of the clips and everything, so that's not a problem. It's just a matter of the hole location as my left fender and right fender differ just a little bit haha. I think one was replaced and drilled by someone previously.
I'll assume that your white fender is a replacement fender. I say that because my 89 front fender holes look identical to all the holes on your gray fender. I'm the original owner of my 89 so I know for a fact that my fender has never been replaced.

As far as the additional holes from what I see in my 1989 Ford Mustang Shop manual those holes are for the LX.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I'll assume that your white fender is a replacement fender. I say that because my 89 front fender holes look identical to all the holes on your gray fender. I'm the original owner of my 89 so I know for a fact that my fender has never been replaced.

As far as the additional holes from what I see in my 1989 Ford Mustang Shop manual those holes are for the LX.
Well in that case I'll just measure the location of the holes in the gray fender and hope for the best. Since they're covered by the fender extensions if I screw it up it will be an easy fix.

I didn't realize the lx had any sort of fender extension or molding.

I really appreciate the help, even though you didn't have the measurements. I'll feel confident in measuring from the gray fender since I know the holes are in the correct spots on it. You always have such a great database of diagrams and pictures!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

You can see the LX front fender moulding here and how it is attached to the fender.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...der-Molding-Rh

As far as the diagrams and pics I have, I found out a long time ago it's usually easier than trying to explain something to someone.
You know that ole saying...... a picture is worth a thousand words.