5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.
View Poll Results: Overall headlamp appearance & quality
KEEP IT STOCK! Original Ford parts only.
25.00%
Aftermarket OEM knockoffs.
0%
Aftermarket 6pc w/ smoked lenses.
62.50%
Aftermarket 1pc w/ black housing.
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

1990 HEADLAMP OPINION POLL

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Bowtietraitor

Default 1990 HEADLAMP OPINION POLL

Ok all-

My stock little vert is coming along nicely, however: all the front end lights look like crap...

I intend to put all new lighting in it, but I really don't know which way to go. When it comes to American sports cars I've always been a bit of a purist- keeping things as close to stock, or a stock appearance as possible- but on this one I'm kinda stumped.

All of the OEM replacements are pretty well gone (not that the initial quality was that great to begin with), and the few I have found are going for ridiculous $$$. I've been looking on-line and I'm seeing a ton of aftermarket lights ranging from stock knock-offs to some really rice looking crap. I've found a few that look ok in pics, but I've never seen them in person & I'm not the type of person to be sold on pics alone.

Anyway- here's what I've found that seems ok. Keep in mind my car is a tripple black GT vert. Lets see what public opinion has to say about overall appearance and quality of these. If you have personal experience w/ any of these- good or bad- let me know. Anyone else who knows of a better alternative than the examples feel free to chime in!

1) Find OEM Ford & keep it original

2) OEM style aftermarket-

3) 6pc aftermarket smoked-

4) 1pc aftermarket w/ black housing- NOT THE LED CRAP

After I get some input I'll decide & order. I made it a short poll though- Patience is definately not my strong suit...

Last edited by Bowtietraitor; 01-11-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
la.douche
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure if they have them for your body style, but i've been looking for a set of once pieces that look like stock headlights for my 94....

Personally i think #4 makes it look like a ricer/fnf car

I would either go with something stock, or somethign aftermarket that looks close to stock
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

+1 to #4
what site sells those?
otherwise keep it stock. and buy ford if you want the best quality. i bought some taillights from american muscle and while theyre solid units not all the seams were perfect.

can you legally run smoked headlights in your city/state?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Voted for the 6 piece smoked. IMO I like those. I have currently the NON LED ricer 1 piece lenses and I F***ING HATE THEM. They are crappy leaky POS. I'm waiting for funds to arrive so I can get them off my car.

Did I mention I hate these F N Headlights, but when your broke WTF you gonna do!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Bowtietraitor

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
can you legally run smoked headlights in your city/state?
Trick question- yes AND no... I'm a Wa. State resident but I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg in N.C. I see all types of tinted & blacked out stuff here, however back in Wa. I've been ticketed for the black aftermarket covers back in the early '90's. I guess it just depends where I'm at. As long as I'm in the military I'll keep Wa. plates my vehicles so I don't have to pay for local inspections & state property taxes (N.C. is horrible about both).

Never going back to Wa. though!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

I said #2. Smoked would be a close second but I think the clear lites add contrast on an all black car.

#1, Ive never looked at the cost of oem but if its as bad as you made it sound it would not be worth the $$$ in my eyes.

And for #4, ugly as hell. I dont think the one piece head lights look right on foxes or sn95s for that matter. THey dont flow with the fender lines like the multi-piece ones.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

where can you find #4 i have to replace mine and want a 1 piece
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
where can you find #4 i have to replace mine and want a 1 piece
I think these are the same as #4: http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=340

I have no expirence with the store though, just something I remember from when I used to by the mustang magazines.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Bowtietraitor

Originally Posted by Milton
I think these are the same as #4: http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=340

I have no expirence with the store though, just something I remember from when I used to by the mustang magazines.
Everything I've shown is from eBay. Those 1pc lights are under a hundred bucks- $179 is insane.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bowtietraitor
Everything I've shown is from eBay. Those 1pc lights are under a hundred bucks- $179 is insane.
I just did a quick search of a few sites I could think up off the top of my head to see who sells them. I didn't pay any attention to the price to be honest.

Quick Reply: 1990 HEADLAMP OPINION POLL