5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Northern mustang GT (on air)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 PM
motocross

Default Northern mustang GT (on air)

i have a 1991 mustang GT that is extremly clean ( my pride and joy ) i live in northern canada where the roads are not very good and my car sits up high on stock suspension. i want to lower it but i feel i cant with the road conditions. i know i will have trouble with drive ways, speed bumps and rough roads. so im looking at a air ride suspension kit so i can have a lowered look but beable to adjust up ? my car is not a ricer and all i have is tinted windows and some nice cobra 17" wheels. i am just looking for some opinions and anyone that can give me tips or help with the project. thanks

http://www.x2industries.com/air-susp...kit-p-664.html
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

that is all chassis tech stuff.do not buy a damn thing from them air ride related
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
motocross

why shouldnt i buy anything air ride related?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

air ride is very nice and convenient for the adjustability factor. However, I have lots of friends in the VW scene (slammed out as may or may not know) and many of them use air ride. It's great while it works, but they always seem to have problems with leaks and things. Winter is especially hard on air ride (and I know Canada has some nasty winters). Oh and the ride is very bouncy as well. I would suggest (If you get it), installing the kit yourself and getting familiar with it and keeping a few tools in the car specific for your air ride setup so that you can fix uh-oh's along the way.

Another option is just getting a nice set of adjustable coil-overs and doing a modest drop on the car. You will level out the A-arms for maximum handling, and you can adjust the dampers for your ideal ride quality. Yes you may find yourself in situations that you scrape up the nose or drag its belly but she'll be fine and you'll keep on trucking. Both of my vehicles are lowered and i take them everywhere (including offroad when need be) and as long as you keep your wheels on the high spots, and hit those tall speed bumps and driveways at a good angle, you will be fine.

Hope this has been helpful. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 AM
ghost_rader

Originally Posted by tohoopty
that is all chassis tech stuff.do not buy a damn thing from them air ride related
Originally Posted by motocross
why shouldnt i buy anything air ride related?
i think he is talking about not buying air ride components from chassis tech.

as far as ride quality, you can retain almost stock ride quality if you retain your sway bars and shocks. get a quality setup with dual ported bags and individual air solenoids (one for up and one for down on each wheel) also put in one way valves on the bags in side(to prevent leak down) that coupled with a good individual air pressure monitoring system will keep you riding the way you wanna be. the ride will be a little bumpier the lower the pressure, but with good shocks you can help that a bit. good luck and make sure you use dielectric grease on all electrical connections for a fail proof system.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

my car is not a ricer [/url]
it will be once air suspension is added
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
motocross

thanks for some of the tips, at stock ride height i have to be carefull and i scrape often, that is why i do not what to just lower it. its my summer car so winters are not a problem and my dad is a truck & coach technician so he has alot of experience with air bags and any problems i will have with them. I would just like to know if the stuff from chassis tech is all i need. what kind of shocks will i need? and i can keep my sway bars and everything else? thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

thanks for some of the tips, at stock ride height i have to be carefull and i scrape often, that is why i do not what to just lower it. its my summer car so winters are not a problem and my dad is a truck & coach technician so he has alot of experience with air bags and any problems i will have with them. I would just like to know if the stuff from chassis tech is all i need. what kind of shocks will i need? and i can keep my sway bars and everything else? thanks
my DD has air ride (even on the seat ) but that doesnt mean i wanted it for my car...

get some H&R super sports, the cheap KYB kit on LRS and Steeda sway bars w/ poly end links and youll be fine.

if your car rubs on stock ride height, maybe you need to find some alternate routes lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
ghost_rader

the kit you put up will work, it is not great quality, but it will do the job. yes you can keep your sway bars(people take them off so they can teeter toter their cars) the front should be strut bags so all you need is rear shocks. and if you leave your bumpstops in then you can run goos quality stock length rear shocks. hope this helps.