5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

347 vortech hd gasket trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

yea 18 20 would be a place to start. I set ours up to ramp the timing out of it while boost and rpm build. Like said before I would move over to a MLS gasket. The 1011-2 are not for boost. If you dont want to go with the MLS gaskets I ran a graphite gasket for years with good results also
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Ok will do. So come from 35+ down to 18/20 at wot whats the recommended drop per lbs 2* like nitrous?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

drop per # of boost is a real tough thing to say all engines are different and all set ups are different. 2 IMO would be a good bit. I would be looking at 1 degree. but what base timing are you starting with?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

10* i believe last time we had the software on while running at idle timing was around 40* if i renember? He has been playing alone so idk what he has currently setup. Im pitting the car bacl together tomorrow so ill be able to look at it after we start it.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Ok will do. So come from 35+ down to 18/20 at wot whats the recommended drop per lbs 2* like nitrous?
is this a typo 35+????
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
is this a typo 35+????
Don't think so ran 36 locked out taking nothing out at all under boost on 100 non intercooled never had an issue. That's how i got a gt40 head302 to go 10.40s at 130 in a 3200lb car
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
Don't think so ran 36 locked out taking nothing out at all under boost on 100 non intercooled never had an issue. That's how i got a gt40 head302 to go 10.40s at 130 in a 3200lb car
You also ran 100 he is running 93 there is A LOT of difference in that and maybe he got **** gas or the wrong fuel went in the wrong hole at the station. I dont do it with our turbo car with pump gas. But like I said before a lot of it is on the build of the engine, camshaft grind and so on (done had that issue). He is making 1 point more compression then you also. But I think you said you ran more boost. no matter how you look at it. It didn't work for him this time yet.. so he really should start pulling it down unless he is enjoying putting head gaskets on it..
Is this a street car? that is some of the reason it could have done it also. how hot was it compared to yours? Did he spin the tires and get on off the gas a few times this can makes heat spikes and drives the charged air temps up. Lots of factors to take into account here. They should start soft then move up it works much better.. Then maybe there tune is off and it is drawing fuel out for some reason or something is not keep up. He was doing this without a wide band right? Like I said not all builds are the same, one should not ASSume what works on one car will work on another that is they way things get broke up when working with a tune and no dyno and just starting out.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
You also ran 100 he is running 93 there is A LOT of difference in that and maybe he got **** gas or the wrong fuel went in the wrong hole at the station. I dont do it with our turbo car with pump gas. But like I said before a lot of it is on the build of the engine, camshaft grind and so on (done had that issue). He is making 1 point more compression then you also. But I think you said you ran more boost. no matter how you look at it. It didn't work for him this time yet.. so he really should start pulling it down unless he is enjoying putting head gaskets on it..
Is this a street car? that is some of the reason it could have done it also. how hot was it compared to yours? Did he spin the tires and get on off the gas a few times this can makes heat spikes and drives the charged air temps up. Lots of factors to take into account here. They should start soft then move up it works much better.. Then maybe there tune is off and it is drawing fuel out for some reason or something is not keep up. He was doing this without a wide band right? Like I said not all builds are the same, one should not ASSume what works on one car will work on another that is they way things get broke up when working with a tune and no dyno and just starting out.
alright take it down a notch, was just saying it could be done, was not trying to say it will always work was just saying probably was not a typo.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Ok its a street car, new bonehead factor, found out his fpr craped out he put the stock on back on geez je can be dumb! But i would like to know your timing recs? He just bought a WB so we can get some better info on fuel what should afr be? Safe and still make good power?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
alright take it down a notch, was just saying it could be done, was not trying to say it will always work was just saying probably was not a typo.
LOL, Iam not freaking. LOL

Quick Reply: 347 vortech hd gasket trouble.