5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Supercharger and H/C/I ques for 95GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
rowekmr

Default Supercharger and H/C/I ques for 95GT

I just got a 95 Convertible GT with 65 TB, CAI, MSD 6A and flowmasters. It needs a trans (got a Stage II built/2K stall coming) so I haven't driven yet but I figure this combo only has gained a few hp over stock but its sounds good. I will put in headers and probably a catted X or H pipe but if its exempt from emission testing no cats I pondered the H/C/I route but love the sound of a supercharger. I see that TFS have a top end kit that they claim 360 hp but saw somewhere that their rating is generous (more like 310-320hp).
I am on a budget (tight) so I am looking at used pieces. I have found a used Procharger DS1 and a Vortech S supercharger. What are the pros and cons of each? How much boost is good for my combination? What kind power can I look forward to? I am trying to get 350-400 rwhp.
Would this have to be tuned or does the FMU compensate? Would I need to add heads or intake or cam to meet my goal or can I do it on boost alone?Any cams that will improve hp (and sound good) but not harm driveability and cruising mpg's?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Here's an easier route for you. Get a 255lph fuelpump, and 42lb injectors. Then go to ON3Performance. Get your car tuned. 350rwhp easily!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
ssj50driver

Originally Posted by rowekmr
I just got a 95 Convertible GT with 65 TB, CAI, MSD 6A and flowmasters. It needs a trans (got a Stage II built/2K stall coming) so I haven't driven yet but I figure this combo only has gained a few hp over stock but its sounds good. I will put in headers and probably a catted X or H pipe but if its exempt from emission testing no cats I pondered the H/C/I route but love the sound of a supercharger. I see that TFS have a top end kit that they claim 360 hp but saw somewhere that their rating is generous (more like 310-320hp).
I am on a budget (tight) so I am looking at used pieces. I have found a used Procharger DS1 and a Vortech S supercharger. What are the pros and cons of each? How much boost is good for my combination? What kind power can I look forward to? I am trying to get 350-400 rwhp.
Would this have to be tuned or does the FMU compensate? Would I need to add heads or intake or cam to meet my goal or can I do it on boost alone?Any cams that will improve hp (and sound good) but not harm driveability and cruising mpg's?

This will greatly depend on what you want the car to do. I will assume for now you want good acceleration with decent mpg's. *sigh.... not the cheapest route to go I'm afraid. I know the 95's had hypereutectic pistons which are fine but they just need to have a proper tune on them if you go forced induction. No piston will hold up to detonation for long I don't care how forged it is. What is your budget? FMU's are designed to compensate but sinice you mentioned mpg's I would personally get larger injectors and a tune if you go the forced induction route. A 400rwhp hci car is doable on a 302 but eventually to get there you will give up some mpg's. A supercharger will always be dragging on the pulley system whether you are producing boost or not. Yes you can easily get close to 400rwhp on boost alone. I'd say a power pipe in addition to any charger kit you get and you are good. I've always been a fan of the vortech/paxtons but to each their own. Even powerdyne's have their place. I would not get a self contained charger but that is just me. It does make for an easier install if you do.

Now with the hci, I would personally recommend an AFR or Trickflow head. I know a guy around me that runs the afr 165's (older cast) with an edelbrock intake and a custom cam that is pretty quick. I think he runs 30lb injectors in it as opposed to the stock 19's. You might be able to get away with your stock fuel pump setup but I would get a 255 intank or just get rid of the intank style and get an inline and call it a day. You already have great fuel rails so you are good there.

What gears does this car have? The taller gears I personally like for supercharging and the shorter I like for N/A but that is personally me. If you run a 4.10 gear and have it supercharged you will not like your mpg's as (oops you have an automatic... depends on your overdrive ratio). You might want to gear it first and see what that does. There are a few things to consider now aren't there? Good luck with this. Remember, start with asking yourself what you want and go from there.