5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is this fox fast?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by daredevil95
This car, as is, will probably be a low 14 or high 13 second car....as is. That's not bad. If you want it to ROLL.....install AFR heads, 1.7 Rockers, Ford Racing X303 Cam, tune the chip & a set of 4.10s....now it will ROLL!. With slicks you should hit high 11s and that's fast enough for me for the street.

Over-all it's a nice car and I would enjoy it the way it is.
Very clean car......

4.10's suck with a standard transmission in a fox....

There are better cams than an X cam, especially after upgrading the heads.

A 5.0 with a A9L does NOT need a tune for anything. Will you get max HP andall that yea, BUT you can run ALOT of mods on a stock ecu. I know plenty of people with built 302's with N/A and s/c applications with up to 15psi with NO issues.

Need more suspension work before you will hit that mark....
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Very clean car......

4.10's suck with a standard transmission in a fox....

There are better cams than an X cam, especially after upgrading the heads.

A 5.0 with a A9L does NOT need a tune for anything. Will you get max HP andall that yea, BUT you can run ALOT of mods on a stock ecu. I know plenty of people with built 302's with N/A and s/c applications with up to 15psi with NO issues.

Need more suspension work before you will hit that mark....
I don't mind the 4.10.....3.73 & 3.90 don't work for me. If I blow a 4.10 rear I'm gonna try 4.30s next. I like to drive the car all over so I'm not gonna get to steep.

You don't like an X303 with a 1.7 rocker.....these cams fly? I'm sure there is faster....there always is.....what would you recommend?

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

With stock heads OTS cams are find but after upgrading to none ported aluminum I would either stick with the same manufacturer (trick flow with trick flow, FRPP with GT40x...) but for things like AFR, DART, or heads that have been ported more than out of the box I would go custom or contact comp or crane and ask their opinions.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

I'm an Old Schooler....never heard of it? I hung out all the tracks in the North East for a couple of decades and assemble literally dozens of Ford motors. That's an odd ball cam.....like an Isky....which I like but, not often used in a SBF and I've road in cars that had the Isky.. There are better cams available. So far I like the Ford Racing X cam....works for me and yes there are other/better cams depending on needs.
By the way.....why is the Wolverine a better cam then say an X? I don't want to hear it "sounds better".....be technical if you can? Would you disagree the X cam would make a great street/strip cam....?
It's always good to hear about new product....except when it's from someone who thinks he know's it all and everyone else's opinion sucks....come on "facepalm"....grow up! I never said the letter cam was the best cam out there....I stated I like the cam and to check with people he knows and trusts and not to rely on internet advice. We give our opinions and the OP has become more knowledgeable in the topic he seeks advice. In the end it's up to the person who is making the decision and it doesn't help when butt heads get demanding/opinionated....grow up and be a help or don't say anything.
because every REAL sbf cam has a longer lift/duration spec on the exhaust vs the intake, whereas the letter cams are olddddddd single pattern garbage...

an engine like a 351C can get away with this old tech due to the fact that the heads are orgasmic and pretty much flow dead even (after lossing volume to heat exchange, etc etc). a typical sbf head needs a bit of help on the exhaust side to make up for the difference...

dont buy a new cam because it "sounds better" ?!

thats all the letter cams have going for the (and they make excellent doorstops and decorations too...)

take your old school technology elsewhere and do some research... just like back in the day the solution was to bump the **** out of the CR and regrind the cam to 3/4 spec and run a huge exhaust...

now those same cars get TRASHED on by well sorted 9:1 fox bodies at the track (BTDT...)

/
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

"take your old school technology elsewhere and do some research... just like back in the day the solution was to bump the **** out of the CR and regrind the cam to 3/4 spec and run a huge exhaust"

^^^^^Never heard of that....I review all the cams in the same segment.....there's not much difference....There are application specific cams. The letter cam I'm referring to is proven reliable, safe power...to the application I provided....that's all. Are you saying a Comp or Crane cams and others are better? Some are and some aren't. Depends on the risk factor. Run what you feel comfortable with and don't be a sucker for commercialized cams....use your own experience and not the words of other people. Let me know when you actually ran all the cams out there in the market....then your opinion is reputable.

If you want to go all race there are much better applications....the 8s are much more fun. Let me know when you get there...I'm at Englishtown often....stop by I'll give you a lesson.

You don't make sense or you don't perceive/read properly. Your opinion is the same as mine...you are neither right or wrong....your giving your opinion!!! How come I could see that? What's wrong with you....are you slow? Read & Understand!! Don't preach based on theory....preach based on experience! It's obvious you lack practical experience....you wouldn't react the way you do!!

Now take your lousy/belligerent opinion to someone who wants to hear it....you got a bad attitude! GFYS

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-15-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

^^^
typical S197 owner mad that he gets walked by 302's that cost less than his insurance premiums...

ill race your POS 3600lb car on my honda and run away from you...

and FWIW, my car ran GREAT on my Steeda 19 cam which is a BETTER (dual pattern) version of a B303 basically...

b low me jerkoff

also taking advice from someone that has jeremy clarkson quotes... cmon, hes the biggest moron in the world...
loved how he raved about the Holden Monaro CV8, then bitched about the GTO... *****

Last edited by sn95_331_GT_ yellow; 02-15-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

watch your f*cking mouth with the slow comments, i have a son with a disability dbag

and i dont race at e-town, i go to lebanon valley BTW...

Last edited by sn95_331_GT_ yellow; 02-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

You sound angry....therapy helps.

Look forward to racing you at Lebanon Valley. Look for a Satin Black 89 LX....hope to break into the 8s this season. I have a Black Label Society Sticker on my back window. I'm also there often....I'll look for your Mustang and stop and say hello. People are much nicer face to face.....as they should be.

Work on the anger issue....the forum needs proper/helpful folks who contribute/ seek proper advise. Would you talk like this in front of your son....then don't talk like this in the forum. Have a good evening!

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-15-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the forum needs proper/helpful folks who contribute/ seek proper advise

says the man who has seemingly disregarded all the advice he has been given thus far.

you already have a decent aftermarket cam, why step all over your own feet when you can save money...

with regards to the whole letter cam debate... technology from 20 some years ago vs the latest technology.... hmmm

choosing the letter cam is on the same level with choosing an abacus over a graphing calculator...
Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Look forward to racing you at Lebanon Valley. Look for a Satin Black 89 LX....hope to break into the 8s this season. I have a Black Label Society Sticker on my back window.
Do you run an X303 in your "hope to break into 8's" car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this fox fast?