5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

tuning shop vs chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
jbcoss

Default tuning shop vs chip

im almost done with a 306 swap in to my 95 gt. my question is that would a tuning shop be all that helpful to me if i no the engine runs (cuse i bought it as a running engine) or should i get chip and what will the chip do to help
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone with a 5.0, don't waste your money either way.

What else is done to the motor??
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

How can you say dont waist your money on a tune? That is retarded... You put all that money into the thing and dont tune it?? That is almost the most important thing you could have done to a built car. I guess I am the other way on this, I think it is almost the most important piece to any car. Its money that is well spent in my mind. You can get so much more out of a good tune, and you can run everything alot more safely. The good thing about getting a car tuned is that you can learn a lot of stuff too just by watching them work their magic. Its money well spent in my mind!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blown408
How can you say dont waist your money on a tune? That is retarded... You put all that money into the thing and dont tune it?? That is almost the most important thing you could have done to a built car. I guess I am the other way on this, I think it is almost the most important piece to any car. Its money that is well spent in my mind. You can get so much more out of a good tune, and you can run everything alot more safely. The good thing about getting a car tuned is that you can learn a lot of stuff too just by watching them work their magic. Its money well spent in my mind!
mmmm yes and no...

a foxes A9L ECU is really user friendly and a few tricks are all thats really needed to make it work (yes, a tune may gain a few ponies, but its not really worth it as long as its a "normal" build, not a blown 408W )

on the other hand, the SN95 ECU's NEED a tune when you start doing anything over basic bolt ons...

the ECU also has MANY more options for tuning part throttle driveability and many other features that an A9L cant do... thats why anyone who wants to take the easy route and dump the SN95 for the A9L will honestly end up regretting it...

ask adder why he didnt swap to one, and he had a BUILT 347 that would my old car's stock ECU assume the fetal position in a corner and start bawling....
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

^^ Basically. A tune will help over all yes BUT it is not a needed item o make it run like a bat out of hell. I know a few guys running built 302's with a s/c running up to 15psi on the street and track with no issues at all with no tune. I also have personally seen a couple 94/95's with a built 302 and not have any drivability issues as well. It all goes into how well you know how the ecu works and how well you know how to tweak and tune things. By all means if you have a stroked out beast that is force fed by something yes go get a tune but for a N/A 302 there is no reason at all for the basic person.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
ask adder why he didnt swap to one, and he had a BUILT 347 that would my old car's stock ECU assume the fetal position in a corner and start bawling....
Actually... After just setting the MAF transfer function, and injector slopes, then leaving the rest of the tune completely stock... the car still started and ran.

Ive never had any idle surge issues with it either (once i got rid of the C&L).

People really don't give the stock SN-95 ECM alot of credit, when usually it isnt the computers fault that their car runs like ****. Its usually because their O2 sensors are 110k miles old, or their maf is covered in oily sludge, or their IAT sensor is caked with crap. People never bother to take the time to find the ROOT CAUSE, and just blame everything on the ECM.

I run a cam with a 110° LSA... most will claim that anything under 114 will toss the computer for a loop... I guess not!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

+1 stock ecms can handle plenty u just have to get things right! I too have had 2sn95ecm running much over stock, my buddy has a 347 witha vortech no tune until recently, is a tune a waste of money hell no,but u dont need one for very mildly built setups. Mostlikely ur tune will be a chip but not mail order, its burn at the shop!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Actually... After just setting the MAF transfer function, and injector slopes, then leaving the rest of the tune completely stock... the car still started and ran.

People really don't give the stock SN-95 ECM alot of credit, when usually it isnt the computers fault that their car runs like ****. Its usually because their O2 sensors are 110k miles old, or their maf is covered in oily sludge, or their IAT sensor is caked with crap. People never bother to take the time to find the ROOT CAUSE, and just blame everything on the ECM.

I run a cam with a 110° LSA... most will claim that anything under 114 will toss the computer for a loop... I guess not!
hahaha you got my vote!!! (your sig)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2

..... I've done SN95's with the cheerleaders, Stg1 and one with a Schneider cam...... no tuning device and/or chip whatsoever and no idle/driveability issues. The only one that required we used one (TwEECer R/T) was due to it been SC with 42# injectors, automatic (C6 replaced the AODE).
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

hmm this is intresting

Quick Reply: tuning shop vs chip