5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Front end rebuild

I've decided to rebuild the front end on my 91 Mustang. Since I have to replace the struts and the rack and pinion, I figured I might as well just replace it all (except the springs).

I need some help choosing a rack and pinion. When I looked up the racks they are listed with several ratios "lock to lock" and some are listed as "with performance suspension".

1. Which ratio is better? The car will be a daily driver, but I don't live in a big town and rarely have to do any parallel parking.

2. Does the performance suspension refer to lowered cars?

I was actually considering a manual rack, but the cost for the power racks aren't that bad so I don't know if its worth going that route.

Also, does anyone know of a place that sells a whole kit for these cars? I mean a kit that includes the rack, outer tie rods, struts, etc.?

Otherwise I'm looking at buying each of these parts seperately. I hate for that to sound lazy but sometimes a whole kit that is already matched up is the better route, plus I like things simple. The work itself is enough of a headache. :P
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

the only thing i was aked when i bought my rack was,does it have a ford rack or a trw rack,and does it have the 1 piece or 2 piece mounting bushings
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tohoopty
the only thing i was aked when i bought my rack was,does it have a ford rack or a trw rack,and does it have the 1 piece or 2 piece mounting bushings
How would I know if it's a Ford rack or TRW? Does it matter and is one better quality? I've looked at Autozone, Oriellys, and Napa.

Oriellys has the better price but their website didn't mention the ratio of the racks like Autozone's does.

What effect does the 2.25 turn lock to lock have vs. a 3 turn? Obviously you turn the wheel less, but is it harder to turn compared to the 3 turn rack?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

i just replaced the rack if your going to redo the front end do yourself a favor and get some springs before you do cause if you undo the a-arm you will need a spring compressor that goes on the outside of the spring. or you will never get the spring in. atleast in my case is was.

i put the 2.25 the response is much better than before but then again mine was bad and made me have wheel have play.

no it is no harder to turn the steering wheel i found it easier maybe its just me though

i got the remaned rack from autozone
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stdyhand
How would I know if it's a Ford rack or TRW?
if its a ford it will have a ford logo on it.its very small.might have to clean the rack off to see it.and idk what markings a trw has
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Does it really matter though? I mean, if its a Ford gear can a TRW still be used? The guy at the parts store talked like it didn't matter. When I asked for a rack he automatically recommended the 2.25 "Sport" rack. He didn't say what gear it had.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightmare90gt
i just replaced the rack if your going to redo the front end do yourself a favor and get some springs before you do cause if you undo the a-arm you will need a spring compressor that goes on the outside of the spring. or you will never get the spring in. atleast in my case is was.

i put the 2.25 the response is much better than before but then again mine was bad and made me have wheel have play.

no it is no harder to turn the steering wheel i found it easier maybe its just me though

i got the remaned rack from autozone
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Why would I need to drop the A-Arm? If I'm replacing the rack & pinion, outer tie rods, struts, links, bushings, etc. but not the springs why would the A-Arm need to be undone?

The reason I wasn't replacing the springs was because I am staying with stock height right now and haven't seen anything wrong with the springs.

If I'm not understanding something please correct me.