5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Finally the CARNAGE!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Finally the CARNAGE!

Well im kinda stuck with moving forward right now. I'm broke, and I need money for a few more parts, so I figured I would tear down the old motor since I had time for once.

This is a video I shot of the process. It's long and boring, just fare warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUMe98FiUw

and here we go with pictures!

Crank
All scared up, thought it would be cracked, but I see no visible damage other then the scared up journals.

Rod bearings

Crank/main caps

no other damage. block didn't look damaged. only real odd thing was the #5 bearing to the crank almost looked CRUSHED? it was kinda odd looking on the sides of the bearings.

also the rod bolts where torqued down to 30-33 ftlbs?? and the crank bolts to 80ftlb? I have never touched the bottom end of this motor before.

spec I have looked up, and what I torqued my new motor down to has the rod bolts at 24lbs pre everything I looked at, and the crank bolts to 70lbs.

i know its not that much more then spec, but WTF? I was told the motor was rebuilt, and the rings didn't look bad at all, so maybe someone put new rings and bearings in it before I got a hold of it, and torqued everything down a little to much? could that lead to this kinda failure?

I know 99% of the damage is from over revving the motor, It happened a few times, with no limiter because I had it removed when I got the car tuned. Was planning on installing a ignition box, but of course drove the car before I did, and missed a couple gears due to my old clutch being screwed.

so whats your guys analysis?

Remember, NO KNOCKING, or ANY sound coming from the bottom end. The only symptoms of the motor being hurt was a vibration from 2500 on up, that got worse and worse. it had been there for a very long time, even before the head/cam swap. and then right after the tune, the oil pressure just got worse and worse. showing almost nothing at idle, and 15-20psi under load.

anyway, thought you guys would enjoy the pictures

Rob
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ouch...

you cooked her pretty good there
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

those bearings are in pretty rough shape.ive had worse though.ive had them come out in pieces before
Old 03-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

That crank was walking pretty good!! Were all the journal bolts and Rod nots torqued consistantly on the old motor, or were they all over the place?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
ouch...

you cooked her pretty good there
haha yup.

Originally Posted by tohoopty
those bearings are in pretty rough shape.ive had worse though.ive had them come out in pieces before
yea, I've seen worse, but its kinda shocking to me how the car still had all its power, and the only noteable issue, was the wicked vibration.

Originally Posted by Blown408
That crank was walking pretty good!! Were all the journal bolts and Rod nots torqued consistantly on the old motor, or were they all over the place?
see thats what I think caused the vibration, the crank was walking around, its the only thing that really explains it.

and yes, everything was pretty consistant. its just everything was torqued OVER spec just a bit like I mentioned.

from the look of some of the rod bearings, it could have had a few bent rod's too......
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Lol good god! That blows man. So now it's time for a dart based 347 right
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
Lol good god! That blows man. So now it's time for a dart based 347 right
pffffffft Maybe on your budget MR. Moneybags. I wish I had the cash. A dart 347 is the ultimate goal.

no if you saw my other thread I have a explorer motor I rebuilt, and its already 99% together, and in the car. I just need a new intake manifold to match my new nitrous kit.

gotta install the trans and all that junk. but once I get a paycheck or two, I can get the Victor intake, install the nitrous kit, and be back on the road.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
pffffffft Maybe on your budget MR. Moneybags. I wish I had the cash. A dart 347 is the ultimate goal.

no if you saw my other thread I have a explorer motor I rebuilt, and its already 99% together, and in the car. I just need a new intake manifold to match my new nitrous kit.

gotta install the trans and all that junk. but once I get a paycheck or two, I can get the Victor intake, install the nitrous kit, and be back on the road.
Didn't we talk about ur intake before? If you have the rpm intake and are going Vic the plates are way different!
Someone had the engine apart because the thread like grooves in the rod journal is from not. Covering the rod bolt threads with a sleeve the banging on the piston because it was stuck LOL.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Didn't we talk about ur intake before? If you have the rpm intake and are going Vic the plates are way different!
Someone had the engine apart because the thread like grooves in the rod journal is from not. Covering the rod bolt threads with a sleeve the banging on the piston because it was stuck LOL.
the nitrous kit I just bought uses a victor intake, I currently have a typhoon, there not even CLOSE.

the marks in the rod journal is from when I was beating the crap out of the #2 cylinder. damn thing did not want to come out.

I didn't cover the rod bolts because there isn't a single piece of this motor im going to use.

I'm actually thinking about turning the block and pistons into a table for my garage, and the crank I might make into a mail box.

I'm really sentimental about this motor for some reason...... I don't wanna just sell it, or junk it. I wanna keep it around.

the first of many motors I ruined
Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Looks like there may have been an oiling problem,when I tore mine apart my bearings looked the same,but you would have never known it....thing ran like a champ.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally the CARNAGE!