5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Auto trans question (NHRA RULES)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default Auto trans question (NHRA RULES)

I need some clarification on NHRA rules for car's with auto's. I looked thru the book and I couldn't find what i was looking for. I figured someone here would know the answer. When going thru tech yesterday at the track the tech dude said the car can't start while in neutral. The guy who did the swap for me said it just cant start while in gear. Can someone clarify the rule please.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Its a neutral safety switch it is not supposed to start in neutral. It should only start in park. Just tell them it works, mine used to start in park and neutral, now that im going to a glide im having it wired correctly
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
Its a neutral safety switch it is not supposed to start in neutral. It should only start in park. Just tell them it works, mine used to start in park and neutral, now that im going to a glide im having it wired correctly
He had me try to start it to test it, luckily I have a kill switch on the car and I used that to get thru tech.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the tech guy is getting pretty picky as many years that I have been racing and as many tracks that I have raced at I dont think I have seen them check for that. I know they have never checked me for that. I guess rules are rules.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
Sounds like the tech guy is getting pretty picky as many years that I have been racing and as many tracks that I have raced at I dont think I have seen them check for that. I know they have never checked me for that. I guess rules are rules.
yeah i hear ya but maybe they had an issue somewhere and something happened cus i was asked last year if it worked while i was in tech and i told the guy yeah
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

You sure 5.0kid? My prostick allows it to start in park and neutral,you can see the provisions on the shifter that bump the switch. I mean it is called a NEUTRAL safety switch right. No different than a stick shift car starting.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by holyshift
You sure 5.0kid? My prostick allows it to start in park and neutral,you can see the provisions on the shifter that bump the switch. I mean it is called a NEUTRAL safety switch right. No different than a stick shift car starting.
See my quarter stick did the same thing but for some reason nhra tech at milan told me it can only start in park???
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Hmm....thats wierd they would do that....who knows,tech is getting rediculous any more.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by holyshift
Hmm....thats wierd they would do that....who knows,tech is getting rediculous any more.
yeah they were more concerned with if my belt was up to sfi date and not if they were mounted correctly
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Every track i have been to checks that it doesn't start in park. I dont know why they wouldnt want it to start in neutral?

Quick Reply: Auto trans question (NHRA RULES)