5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Convert to carb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Convert to carb?

If I build a stroker motor, how is this going to effect me when it comes to the fuel system? Will it need larger injectors? I was already planning on an intake, TB, etc. but will it need a higher flowing fuel pump as well or is the stock pump capable of feeding enough fuel to a 331/347?

I was also wondering if I would be better off converting it to carb. We don't have smog testing around here so I don't have to worry about that whole mess. It seems like for the cost of EFI intake, TB, injectors, etc. I could simply convert it to carb for much cheaper and from what I've read elsewhere carbs make higher peak HP compared to EFI.

I know I would get worse MPG vs. the EFI but it shouldn't be a whole lot worse and if that was my primary concern I wouldn't be considering a stroker :P

My main concern with converting would be cost/performance compared to keeping the EFI.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I imagine you will probably want 30s in it. You will have to get a new mass air meter of course so, your looking at being out close to 4 to 500 bucks there on just injectors and a meter if you go new. I would go ahead upgrade the pump so, another 100 bucks there. Intake and tb, I would go used if I could find a good deal. So lets say 500 for both. Then after all is said and done, you may need a tune. So lets say another 500 there.

So 1500 to 2 grand is my guess on that route.

Yeah, I would think carb would be a little cheaper pending on what and how you get the fuel to the carb and get it regulated.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I would like to go with a clean look and less things to go wrong so if I tear out the computer and wiring harness I still need to get fuel from the pump to the new carb.

I was curious about adding a mechanical fuel pump so it would be one less thing to go wrong, but if I start to make decent power later on with a stroker I have to wonder if I'd be better off sticking to an electric pump and regulator.

I'm really considering going carb because the wiring and vacuum in this car is a mess. The last owner cut sensors, unplugged vacuum lines, etc. I have no idea what goes where and don't really care to find out.

I love the fox body style, but I much prefer the simplicity of carbs and less electrical wiring and vacuum lines.

This car is mainly for having fun and as a back up. I like it to be as reliable as possible and with as few things to go wrong, even if that means paying more at the pump.

My concern is the electrical that remains for the chasis and ignition. Would my chasis electrical still function properly? Would the headlights, interior lights, etc. still work or is all that tied to the computer? I thought it was seperate of the computer and tied into the ignition.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

carb is cheaper an produces good power
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

What do I need to change with the fuel tank if I convert? Do I need to change the tank if I use a mechanical pump?

What does the tank setup consist of on the older Mustangs vs. the newer ones using EFI?

What type of pickup and sender do they use?

Are there any diagrams I could look at?

Obviously my fuel gauge can't be used if I change the sender so I'll have to figure that one out as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 AM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

i would stick with a electric fuel pump if u go with a mechanical pump u would need a different timing chain cover u can use or stock efi pump and u a regulater to turn the pressure down to about 5 psi
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1988TTOP
i would stick with a electric fuel pump if u go with a mechanical pump u would need a different timing chain cover u can use or stock efi pump and u a regulater to turn the pressure down to about 5 psi
I've read several times online people strongly recommending not to use the stock EFI pump due to the pressure creeping up. Some have said to use a return line if using the stock EFI pump, but how would you run a return line back to the tank? I haven't had the tank down so I have no idea how it's setup exactly.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

i have been using my stock efi pump for all most 2 years now with no issues i just used my stock lines
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1988TTOP
i have been using my stock efi pump for all most 2 years now with no issues i just used my stock lines
Did you have to cut your stock lines in any way to make them fit onto your carburetor? Or did you run addition line to the carb and just connect them?

So your not using a return line to the tank?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

i cut the factory lines and then run rubber fuel hose to the fpr and then the same hose to the carb

Quick Reply: Convert to carb?