5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

down pipe done

Old 04-02-2011, 03:12 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default down pipe done

Well after lots of thinking and reading and talking. I think the small down pipe has been contributing to my head gasket loss. SO here it is it is my first down pipe and I am pretty happy with the way it worked out. the old one was 3in and the new is 3.5 dont sound like much but there is a huge difference in them and the HP they can support I can make a 1000 hp with the 3.5 and 306 cid so that will be the last I will need for that reason do to the fact I will not ever make that with this set up cause I just dont want to. I am hoping the change alone is enough to roll me over into the 9s with still no trans brake and still only 1.70 60 fts LOL. it was no real fun making and I got it to snake under the turbo header and pass the steering shaft and didnt even have to dimple it for clearance. sweet, now just for the paint. Heads are at the shop getting milled now and I hope to have it running in the next 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails down pipe done-just-pics-236.jpg   down pipe done-just-pics-240.jpg   down pipe done-just-pics-239.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

'bout time you got that thing under way........on a side note , got my boost a pump, and painted the power pipe today as it was the color of the other kids car, now it's my color........so in the next 2 weeks hopefully, I'll begin the transformation from n/a to s/c btw...pipe looks good John!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Looks good! Can't wait to hear the thing run again.

Mike, you s/c the vert now?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
'bout time you got that thing under way........on a side note , got my boost a pump, and painted the power pipe today as it was the color of the other kids car, now it's my color........so in the next 2 weeks hopefully, I'll begin the transformation from n/a to s/c btw...pipe looks good John!!!
Did he not need the boost a pump? or did you pick up on one? has he got that thing dynoed yet? I am also putting a Crane Hi 6 ignition on the car this year so that will help some also. Mike you know that they car show has moved out to the home depot this year but now they are saying there will be 2 show the cone zone is gone to start there own show this year also. They said Golds is bitching so we will see.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by uedlose
Did he not need the boost a pump? or did you pick up on one? has he got that thing dynoed yet? I am also putting a Crane Hi 6 ignition on the car this year so that will help some also. Mike you know that they car show has moved out to the home depot this year but now they are saying there will be 2 show the cone zone is gone to start there own show this year also. They said Golds is bitching so we will see.
No the dyno tuner said it'd be wise he kept the boost a pump... and no the tuner couldn't get the tune right being that he had 48lbs inj and a maf for 60's, so he ordered 60 lb inj's and he's waiting to get those in, then go for a retune...he did drive it by my shop and it breaks up under full boost or at around 3500k's so all he can do is about 5 psi right now but at that , it sounded like a beast on a flyby he did anyway, as for the pump, I bought a used one off the corral, an AFM one on the cheap...lol, I'm also putting a crane hi-6 , well more so should I say back on the vert as it came with one but I removed it when I redid the motor, just gotta find some coin to buy the boost retard and map sensor for the crane box to make it all work.............dang, you gotta be kidding me?? no more cone zone?? freakin' muscle heads at golds 2 shows?? really?? dunno how the cone zone is gonna do on their own......Golds will love that one..lol....which one you gonna go to???

Last edited by mjr46; 04-02-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Looks good! Can't wait to hear the thing run again.

Mike, you s/c the vert now?
yeah, I did a turbo install for a guy and as payment he gave me his t-trim s/c.....so as soon as I get time it's going on....it's a 10 psi kit
Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Mike, I will be hitting both shows if I can. Hurt my back yesterday and I cant half move so lets hope it passes quick. My machinist hung me from the roof of the shop on a hoist from my feet for a few mins. felt real good at that time but later that night the pain came back it seems to be the worst I have had in years. So who knows.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by uedlose
Mike, I will be hitting both shows if I can. Hurt my back yesterday and I cant half move so lets hope it passes quick. My machinist hung me from the roof of the shop on a hoist from my feet for a few mins. felt real good at that time but later that night the pain came back it seems to be the worst I have had in years. So who knows.
i FEEL YOUR PAIN......i've had alot of neck and shoulder blade pain lately, so much it's giving me headaches......hanging from a hoist soinds like a good idea, I'll see if I can stick my head in a bike helmet and screw a hook into the top of the helmet and hang it from the lift, hopefully the neck strap holds me..lol

Last edited by mjr46; 04-03-2011 at 08:30 PM.