5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Street 5.0 build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 AM
emccalment

Default Street 5.0 build.

I'm looking to build a 5.0 for a daily driver Lincoln Mark VII. I'm thinkin about rollin to a 331, but past that I really don't know much about performance applications at all. About the only thing I've gained from reading lots of forum posts is that no one agrees on anything, and AFR isn't crap.

My brother, who is usually my go-to guy, says that I should stick with the stock cam. I would love to be able to squeeze out close to 400 hp/tq. I'm not sure I can do that with the stock cam, and I've realized as of late that my brother isn't too fantastic when it comes to performance applications.

So I'm looking for some advice, 400-ish hp/tq, real mild cam, drivable on the daily for 100,000+ miles. Is it doable? And what am I looking at here?

This is the option that will keep me from throwing big money on a 3 series.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

LS1 swap. put quality oil pump, exhaust, intake, and a cam in it.

drive it every day, good MPG, and last a while.

total cost is going to start around $8,000 and go up from there.

vague question is vague. so I gave you an answer for what I would do for a street foxbody with power.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I got a kenne bell I will let you get that will probably last 100k miles
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

supercharger it is the least expensive option
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

It all comes down to money, how much you have yo play with?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 AM
emccalment

As far as money is concerned I'd like to shoot somewhere around 5k. I've continued cruising forums and am just looking at my options right now. I won't be starting the build for awhile anyways, I have to wait until I get back from Afghanistan.

How does a supercharger effect everyday drivability and gas mileage? I realize that you should never consider gas mileage as a deciding factor when building an engine for performance, but it's still in the back of my mind. I could really use it to get better than my truck (11, no matter what).

I'm thinking possibly an EFI 351W. My only concern there is the added weight effecting the suspension. But I like the idea of NA and that would reduce my costs by quite a bit I'm thinking.

It would be my first ever engine rebuild/build, so I'll be pulling in some favors to get it done.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

you will spend a bit more then $5k on a decent 351w build, and that doesn't include the transmission.

a supercharger will get you that reliable power, but will effect your mileage. your right foot being what makes the difference between good, and bad, haha
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 AM
emccalment

A bit more wouldn't completely ruin me. And for the trans I want to throw a T56 in it. So I'm already planning somewhere in the realm of 4 for that. There's plenty of material on a 5 speed swap, and I just cross referenced that with some T56 Mustang swap stuff. It should work nicely.

My right foot... it definitely gets happy from time to time. If it didn't I wouldn't want the extra power!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

If I had 5k to do my engine alone ida went EFI408 and never thought twice!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 AM
emccalment

The 408 is what my cousin said before he died. He used to race stock cars with Ford motors. He said do that and you'll never want more. What's the feasibility of running one without a nasty lope and not terrible gas mileage?

The Lincoln is kind of like my settling car. I love the Mark VII, always have. I need a car I can put a family in, so my V8 Miata idea is out for the time being. I hate 4 door cars for some reason, and I've read that most current luxury sport coupes are crap when it comes to reliability and maintence costs. So this would be my daily driver, family car, and strip/track machine, all in one.

Roush did a Mark VII GTC back in the day, put a 351W in it, and compensated for the weight by adapting the air springs.

Quick Reply: Street 5.0 build.