5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

S/C install begins *** update DONE!!! 5/22 ****

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

how do you plan on doing the maf wiring? That is one thing a tuner would want unspliced I imagine.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
how do you plan on doing the maf wiring? That is one thing a tuner would want unspliced I imagine.
vortech instructions say to cut and extend it, however the car I removed it from had a extension harness, unfortunately he had to keep it as his maf for the turbo was still situated in the fenderwell, I'm gonna look for an extionsion harness.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

mjr, I would be a bit nervous about running 10lbs on a motor with 24s and a fmu. I could be totally wrong here so don't take it in stone.

If it were a e7 headed motor, I would think you could get away with it but, with aftermarket heads, I see it going way pass 400hp if the fuel is there.

It may be totally fine though. 24s are bigger than 19s. I would back the timing down a bit though. With e7 heads, I could run stock timing and a fmu. With the gt40p heads at the same compression ratio as the e7 headed engine, it wouldn't run on that no more. I think we got it going pretty good somewhere around 6 degrees less.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 04-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
mjr, I would be a bit nervous about running 10lbs on a motor with 24s and a fmu. I could be totally wrong here so don't take it in stone.

If it were a e7 headed motor, I would think you could get away with it but, with aftermarket heads, I see it going way pass 400hp if the fuel is there.

It may be totally fine though. 24s are bigger than 19s. I would back the timing down a bit though. With e7 heads, I could run stock timing and a fmu. With the gt40p heads at the same compression ratio as the e7 headed engine, it wouldn't run on that no more. I think we got it going pretty good somewhere around 6 degrees less.
I agree 100%....before I even think about a wot pull it will go on a dyno to monitor the a/f, if it starts to go lean due to lack of fuel, I'll know what not to pull it to until I can get the 42's in, car will have proportional boost retard, 1 step colder on the plugs and has a boost a pump, so hopefully with all the above it'll be drivable until I get the fuel system straight
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Just cut the harness and extend it wont hurt a thing I soldered all the wires and used heat shrink then put them in stock looking wire loom. I have done this on a good many cars without issues at all.
But if you feel the need to make a extension harness I have the mass air plug the one that plugs into the mass brand new in the Ford package if you need it. the other end you will need to find
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

very cool! I hope to do this to my car one day. Right now I will be fine with gt40p heads, intake and cam. cheap power until i get out of college or hit the lotto! haha
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

believe me, I didn't hit the lotto, came across a deal I couldn't pass up.....anyway, tonight I ran wires for oil presure gauge, mounted pillar pd and installed boost gauge and installed the tensioner for the accessories.....I'm almost out of things to do until the last round of parts arrive
Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Pictures of the installed gauges?

Originally Posted by mjr46
believe me, I didn't hit the lotto, came across a deal I couldn't pass up.....anyway, tonight I ran wires for oil presure gauge, mounted pillar pd and installed boost gauge and installed the tensioner for the accessories.....I'm almost out of things to do until the last round of parts arrive
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by nightcrawler52
Pictures of the installed gauges?
they are not totally done, the pod is mounted and wires run/ hanging out one hole = oil pressure gauge has not arrived yet, and boost gauge is set in the upper pod, and I have yet to mount the fp gauge on the cowl, In short, summit racing order arrives tomorrow so by sat evening they will be done and will have pics then
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
dsblk93gt

As said, cut and splice the wires properly and solder them and they are fine. I have done so many I can't even count them and NEVER an issue. You are going to be pushing it with the FMU and 24lbers. I would take it easy with timing at 1st, but I have always ran at least 8* and normally 10*, with race gas mix I ran 13* before but would not advise it. My friend ran low 11's @124 with 24lbers and FMU with a small Powerdyne. It can be done just keep an eye on the A/F. Usually with an FMU as it ramps the FP down low it may be a little lean but it will richen out more as the boost goes up.

Quick Reply: S/C install begins *** update DONE!!! 5/22 ****