5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

help with potential Gt40 setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
NineFour5.0

Default help with potential Gt40 setup!!

ok i have a 94/95 gt ( title is weird) , my plans are to get a pair of gt40 iron heads and fully port them, my first question is; what would be the best gt40 heads for me? i've heard some having issues with fitting spark plugs, egr, headers, and spark plugs, etc, what would be best and easier to fit gt40 or gt40p?
also i plan on getting either performer intake, gt40 intake , or cobra intake, which do you guys think would be best? also what would be a good cam , springs, rocker arms for this setup? i also was planning on getting 24lb injector along maf sensor how does that sound?.. and of course a good suspension, and exhaust.
also ive heard that 94/95 ecm having problems.. would i have any problems with this setup? my goal is 270-280 rwhp.. is that possible with this... anyone running a similar set please please chime in lol.. any help is needed a guy is selling a pair of gt40's for $100 and i wanna know if those or the gt40p's are better..
thanks for the help guys
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1995 GT bone stock
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Ten/Seven

The Gt40p Is a cast head that comes stock on Explorers & Mountaineer Its a good head, but it takes some work to get them on if you have to be worried about smog. there is a clearance issue with some headers. Its a spark plug issue. There are ways. Google it.

The GT40 from ford racing is an aftermarket head, easier to install.

As far as intake, I would go with the Cobra Intake on GT40p or GT40 heads.
When you do your intake you will need, Injectors, Mass Air, TB and Cold air kit.
Custom tune and your ecm will be fine.
If you don't plan on turbo or super charger & don't have to smog blow off fuel injection all together. I make 401 @ the fly wheel. - 20% loss that is about 320 to the ground. I drive it daily. See the link in my signature for detail on that.

You can cam it with Ford Racing E303 or switch to 1.7 roller rockers. as far as the porting and springs tell the guys at the machine shop what setup your running cam/rocker wise they will dial the springs for you.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

How are you planning to port those iron heads?
I have worked with iron heads before and can tell you that you are looking at probably 40-50 hours on them and that's if there are no surprises.
This is not work for a $40 dremel tool either.........
Just save some money and buy some heads.
You can buy heads new out of the box that will far out-flow those GT's, even ported ones........
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by tinman
How are you planning to port those iron heads?
I have worked with iron heads before and can tell you that you are looking at probably 40-50 hours on them and that's if there are no surprises.
This is not work for a $40 dremel tool either.........
Just save some money and buy some heads.
You can buy heads new out of the box that will far out-flow those GT's, even ported ones........

yeah man i understand u but im a struggling med student and i don't have the dough for some aluminums, i found and explorer at the junk yard that have gt40 heads and intake, my buddy work there he's basically gonna let me take whatever i need from the car for $150 (heads,intake etc,) so i figure why not. ive been doing research and they are gt40 not gt40p heads, and ive seen ppl get 280rwhp with no porting and ported lower intake. so figure im not gonna port just get the lower intake ported

my only question now is, are the gt40 a direct bolt on for my 95 gt ? ive also heard that i may need shorter pushrods is this true? also is there any machine work needed for these heads to fit? i heard that if i don't get them milled .025 i will lose compression.. also would i be able to use 1.7 rockers with a tfs stage 1 or go with 1.6 with that cam.. ive a friend at a speed shop selling me some valve springs for $50 so figure why not go all out on that end.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I wouldnt bother porting them. with a fully stock H/C/I on my cobra, I made 253rwhp. If you put a good intake and a nice cam with the box stock heads... youll do well.

If you want to let them flow a little better, you should grind the thermactor bumps out of the exhaust

you will need to get the heads machined for new valve springs though.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
87 T TOP GT302
2nd Gear Member

I've got a set on my 87 GT and had the exhaust ports opended to match the gasket and had the thermator bumps removed as well. Made a noticeabe difference.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
NineFour5.0

oh ok, so did u need to get any special work done to the heads to make them fti? are they a direct bolt on? ive hear i may need them to get milled otherwise i would lose compression. i just got back from the junkyard and pick up the explorer upper and lower for $55.. !nd ima get the heads for $100.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

If you get those heads I would have them machined no matter what. They could be warped and you may not even know it. Plus having a perfect milled surface for the head gasket is optimal for proper sealing. also you can mill down the heads to raise your compression. I hear you on the student on a budget. I am doing the same swap, just with the gt40p heads. I have gt40 heads, but don't want them. Also, if you're pulling the intake, make sure you pull the intake from a early 97 and below. They have a boss on runner #5 so you and drill and tap your ACT.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by 19stang88
If you get those heads I would have them machined no matter what. They could be warped and you may not even know it. Plus having a perfect milled surface for the head gasket is optimal for proper sealing. also you can mill down the heads to raise your compression. I hear you on the student on a budget. I am doing the same swap, just with the gt40p heads. I have gt40 heads, but don't want them. Also, if you're pulling the intake, make sure you pull the intake from a early 97 and below. They have a boss on runner #5 so you and drill and tap your ACT.

yeah man all the money im savin im not being cheap with that. im def gonna take them to the machine shop, what should i have them do? and how much should i have them milled, yeah my manifold is from an early 97 explorer, so it has the boss by the #5, so since its an early 97 are they gt40 or gt40p on the car? btw nice pit i have blue and waiting on getting black one when the pups are up .. best dogs in the world!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I would have them him mill all the surfaces that make contact with a gasket. except the valve covers area. I would have them put in new springs. And yes! get the heads off that explorer, they are the gt40 heads. I did the same thing, got the intake, realized it was a early 97 and got to the heads and they were the gt40s. thanks man, my pitbull is a great dog! they are some of the best dogs around, nothing like them.

Quick Reply: help with potential Gt40 setup!!