5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Shopping for my first Fox!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

it appears to run good, thats assuming it wasnt warmed up b4 the vid. no bouncy idle, the front bumper cover is probably not original...the paints falling off from a bad prep job. no sweat...take it all down with a DA sander or strip it then scratch it up with some 1200 grit... white is easy. looked to me like the same thing on the rear just over the left exhaust pipe. so that makes me wonder if it's a respray? or original color. if the door tag is in it, look at it for "ext" color it'll be a code... pm me i'll tell you what it was built as.

if you talk him down to your price....grab it. still worth it IMO if you dont.

only having it a couple months makes me sketchy...but maybe he got the NOTCH bug.....lol

pay the carfax fee....well worth it...... then you can check anything else out too if you dont buy it.
but carfax isnt foolproof... i sold a notch in cali that was a stolen recovery....it didnt show up because it was plated from michigan, and it got stolen in fresburg after i moved there. its like the po-po didnt know what to do....so it showed up clean. but i sold it as a rolling chassis that was a stolen recovery. and im sure it was resold as a clean titled car

Last edited by nitrous_bob; 05-14-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 PM
4literranger485

good point! i'll be checking for respray evidence. and look for the paint code. Thanks for all the help. All i need for a carfax is the VIN right?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

That appears to be a clean mustang. Best of luck to you when you take a look.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM
4literranger485

thanks man!

It pleases me that it recently passed smog, normally you can't have too much crap wrong with a vehicle and still pass the smog tests here lol. Glad I'm an out of state resident though, I can register it in Ohio and actually do some performance mods! Checking it out today around lunch time, can't wait!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
IRoman
1st Gear Member

Its good that its stock. If I had to do it all over again, I wish I would have bought a stock fox.

My fox was modded and the previous owner didnt do the mods, so I basically had to take him at his word when he told me what mods were put in the car (as far as internals go). Not really knowing what mods were in the car has been a pita. The car used to put out black smoke when you really got down on it, supposedly that was because it had 42 lb injectors (I did a compression check on the car, and that came back good, so the big injectors and black smoke made sense).

I picked up 24 lb injectors to try to scale that back, you can imagine my surprise when I pulled the "42 lb" injectors and found out it was the stock 19 lb injectors....So I have been working on my black smoke problem ever since

If I would have bought a stock one.....I would know exactly what was going on

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

Look for one that's stock/relatively stock if you can, cuz there's ALOOOOT of fox's out there that have been monkey'd with beyond hope.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
4literranger485

Checked the car out today, it appears bone stock except a flowmaster cat-back set up. Tires are good, car shifts through all the gears with no drama, power options work, interior is all there. the body is mostly good, looks like 20 year old paint lol, but i don't think it's in dire need of a full respray. The car is fairly clean, a couple dings here and there but nothing huge, and it's rust free and runs strong. after negotiating i got the price to $2800, which i'm ok with paying as kbb listed it at $3k for good condition, and $2500 for "fair". now i noticed some problems that concern me:

1. The clutch pedal is seriously hard to push in and hold, could that be a problem? The current owner was told by the previous owner that the car had recently received a new clutch. And the clutch engages when the pedal is lifted off of the floor only a couple inches. Is this normal or can it be adjusted?

2. the speedometer is erratic, it just bounces all over the place and reads about 120-140 (still bouncing) when at freeway speeds of 60-70. I figured this will just be the speedo cable, but my main concern with it is the mileage. the car only reads 79,xxx miles, but if the speedo is busted could that effect the odometer reading? or are they seperate? I'm worried the mileage listed on the odometer might not be accurate

3. the driver seat has a sort of "gangster" lean to it lol. it leans to the right. I didn't get to dig in, but i figured it might just be a bracket or something bent/broke that could maybe be easily repaired with some fab work or a new seat altogether. Is this a common issue or one that anyone else has seen?

I think that's about it. I got the VIN so i'm gonna research and make sure it was a factory GT and the proper color, etc. And I'll probably carfax it to make sure there's nothing crazy going on there. If it all checks out, i'll probably pick it up tomorrow, unless anyone thinks the clutch issue is something really serious. The odometer doesn't bother me too much as the car does look to be in pretty good shape. Thanks again gentleman for all your advice and help!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, if I were you I'd try and get the price down a little more. Use the speedo and clutch pedal as leverage, since in fact those are the problems you'll have to pay to fix.

Otherwise I'd say jump on it. Hope all checks out with the VIN and you can scoop up a 'stang.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM
4literranger485

the vin checks out, it was indeed a factory mustang GT, oxford white, with 5.0 engine.

Carfax is $35!!! ouch lol. Looking for some coupon codes now
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM
4literranger485

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Hmmm, if I were you I'd try and get the price down a little more. Use the speedo and clutch pedal as leverage, since in fact those are the problems you'll have to pay to fix.

Otherwise I'd say jump on it. Hope all checks out with the VIN and you can scoop up a 'stang.
Yeah, I'll give it a try! Is the stiff clutch pedal a big issue? or could it be an upgraded clutch that's harder to disengage? I don't have much 5-speed experience. I've only owned one, and it's an '88 accord....an infant could push the clutch in

Quick Reply: Shopping for my first Fox!