5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HELP! Thinking of making this Saleen purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'll give you 1k for it
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
SwtPnyChick
Lady Luck

Well fellas, we are going to look at it and seal the deal this weekend. I know it's gonna be a rough road ahead, but I can't wait for the challenge and what I will be learning. I have a friend in the upholstery industry and I have already put a bug in his ear and having him customize a new inside. A few of my OT friends suggested I keep the engine stock. Would you all agree?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well that depends on what your plans are for the car. If you are already doing a custom interior why keep the motor stock? Unless you keep the interior stock the restoration value as a Saleen wouldn't be the same. Go ahead and modify the motor too.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM
SwtPnyChick
Lady Luck

Well the reason I won't be keeping the interior stock is because people are suggesting that a Saleen re-upholstery kit may not be available and I will have no choice but to go custom. The engine on the other hand will be easy to re-build with the stock particulars. The bf wants the car as a show car, I want it as a track car. We shall see who wins. Bwahahahahaha!! lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

You don't track a convertible... thats just stupid.

Buy a beater hatch or coupe if you want a track car.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
SwtPnyChick
Lady Luck

Perhaps you have a point. I guess I just miss my track days.

If I buy a beater, it's gonna be this Saleen and make it mint again.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

really if you want to sell it or thinking about it we could talk about what you want for it. I will give you more then $1000 offered above and can go higher if I think it is worth it. As far as the interior I have a friend that owns a interior shop and he can make it look just like the Saleen stuff but it would be a bit of a haul for you. there is not much he cant do with the inside of a car. There is also nothing wrong with a vert drag car they do look funny gone down the track at times. But one of the great all time mustang racer had a vert Racin Jason Betwarda back in the day he had a bad a$$ vert (God rest his sole) those was the greatest days ever for Fords http://youtu.be/tf-TO8LIsyE But if you dont want to sell it good for you build it and have fun.

Last edited by uedlose; 07-26-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
SwtPnyChick
Lady Luck

I appreciate the offers gents, but I really think we are gonna take this project on ourselves. It just seems like a great catch, and even more so with everyone's comments here. I cannot wait to start! I will keep you updated on the build, oh and of course ask for help and suggestions.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SwtPnyChick
Good point. That's going to be a pretty penny to replace?
you should be fine...look at them but the amount of rain you get in vegas is slim to none. plus you dont have the corrosive issues like snowy states.

you cant lose on this deal. the WORST case scenario i see is that you just refurbish it to look like any other 5.0 on the cheap , and probably triple your money

does it run ?

top is about $1500 if you do glass rear window...$1000-ish with plastic if i remember right

floor boards can be repaired...not too expensive really considering what your gonna do with the car (showroom new resto i'd imagine ?)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

My dream is to own a Saleen, and my favorite years are the fox body years so this is a dream withing a dream car for me. Grats on this purchase. Just hope it runs. In my opinion keep it all original and stock and take it to shows. It will win trophys no doubt. Keep us posted on the restoration.

Quick Reply: HELP! Thinking of making this Saleen purchase.