5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1984 LX rearend swap with 95, easy?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 AM
stangowner8687

Default 1984 LX rearend swap with 95, easy?

so i have this 84 mustang 5.0, was my paps in my head it still is. has 63k original miles only thing thats been changed out to my knowledge is the following, valve covers, waterpump, temp sensor gauge, wheels, and front seats. he is as stock as i can possibly keep him, even the original exhaust from mani-tailpipe. but the suspension is getting tired and i have been looking into some kits, but something i was curious about is a complete swap out of rear ends, if not mistaken the axle rear in a 95 is 3/4" wider because of the disk brakes? i can deal with adjusting wheels to fit but im curious will i have to cut/weld/fab anything? if so then ill keep the poor little 7.5, because when all said and done i would like to return the 7.5 but i simply would like better braking and 5 lug wheels.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the SN-95 8.8" will bolt directly into the car. You will have to change out part of your brake system if you intend to use the disc brakes that come with it. As for fitment, the axle is 1.5" wider total. Each wheel is pushed out 3/4". You say that the car has different wheels... Are you understanding that a 5 lug swap would be necessary if you installed the SN-95 rear?

I do not think this job will be too much for you, but it cascades into several other modifications that you need to be aware of before beginning this swap.

My suggestion to you is, if you do not plan on retrofitting your entire brake system, you can find someone local who has a fox, and wants the parts to do the rear 5 lug and disc brake swap. Sell all that stuff off to them and trade for their drums and axles. Mount the fox drums and axles on the SN-95 rear and you will have a proper width 4 lug 8.8" axle.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
stangowner8687

i am looking into a SN-95 because of the 5 lug and rear disk brakes, what i mean about adjusting the wheels, is dealing with altered back spacing for when i do purchase new 5 lug rims. im also understanding i will need the 2nd master cyl. for the rear brakes? as long as i can bring him back to normal 1984 standard without a drill or saw or welder. im ok with installing a few new parts. its just i figured since i will be replacing most of the suspension, i figured 5lug and rear disk would be a nice upgrade too. but im not worried about HP/tq. i have a 1970 and the 1992 for that purpose
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
stangowner8687

forgot to add:
to clear things up, it is a direct fitment as far as the upper/lower control arms and struts/springs? and i dont doubt ill need to cut into the firewall to install a 2nd master cyl. thats not so bad but anything serious then i will look into an 86-93 rear end
Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

a 2nd master cyl???? that sound weird lol

i think all you need is a 93 cobra master cylinder and a portioning valve i have never done this swap but i think this is what i have read
Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by stangowner8687
to clear things up, is it a direct fitment as far as the upper/lower control arms and struts/springs?
Originally Posted by AdderMk2
the SN-95 8.8" will bolt directly into the car.
please learn to read, or you wont last long here.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
stangowner8687

AdderMk2, will all due respect, i have been told other things were "direct" swaps such as oil pumps/cranks/oil pick-ups to name a few, during an 84 EXP turbo build. turns out these parts varied pending on yr. i see nothing wrong with me summarizing someones description, for a break-down. if there are more ignorant arrogant ****** like you, then ill just stick with my damn mustang being completely stock thank you very much
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
stangowner8687

as for g3, i have yet to personally look under the hood of an all wheel disk brake car, but when i see them on pics and such, it looks as though they have multiple (what looks to be) master cyl. so im mistaken apparently. but just to be 100% sure ill do some more research as my luck never turns out to be "easy"
Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by stangowner8687
AdderMk2, will all due respect, i have been told other things were "direct" swaps such as oil pumps/cranks/oil pick-ups to name a few, during an 84 EXP turbo build. turns out these parts varied pending on yr. i see nothing wrong with me summarizing someones description, for a break-down. if there are more ignorant arrogant ****** like you, then ill just stick with my damn mustang being completely stock thank you very much
we have only begun to scrape the surface of my arrogance. I am however NOT ignorant. Not only did I tell you that it is a direct bolt in, but I also mentioned what things would be affected by your choice to install it. Your plan to "adjust wheel backspacing" to get wheels to fit, shows that you haven't spent much time actually shopping for parts for your car, which just leads further to prove YOUR ignorance.

Want another factoid about why I can, with 100% certainty, tell you that the SN-95 rear bolts directly into your car? I am currently using the 8.8 out of a 93 LX that was installed in an 82, which was in an accident, and then bolted into my 94. The only thing that needed to be changed, was installing my brakes. The very same brakes that have NOTHING to do with what axle they are on.

How about some more reasoning... The fox body style, 79-93... the frame of the unibody did not change. The SN-95... the "fox-4" platform was slightly longer, but made no changes to the style of chassis mounting points. I.E. where the axle bolts in.

Perhaps you should read more of the stuff I post, you might learn something.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
stangowner8687

i cant believe we are arguing about something so dumb, but to further prove my point, things i have learned while owning this 84 is, that the stereotype "all foxs interchange sheet metal" is bull as i learned the hard way doors dont exactly line up to the rubber, and my waterpump also differs from the rest. again i see nothing wrong with me re-assuring myself with a break-down. your telling me you never made a reply, while tired and miscalculated with an answer, im aware changing from drum to disk will be part of the trickle down effect. but i was asking. is it not true that no question is a "dumb" question? to hell with it im done here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 LX rearend swap with 95, easy?