5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Automatic Transmission Question

Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Mustang8686

Default Automatic Transmission Question

What automatic transmission in everyone using in there 5.0. I am looking at putting one in my 5.0 that I might eventually build the motor some. Please provide reasons why you went with the trans you did. Thank you
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

What are your plans and budget? If it's going to be a daily driver and/or see highway often you'll want an od trans. If it's only occasionally driven and more track oriented a c4 would be ideal and they can be built to handle a lot of power.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang8686
What automatic transmission in everyone using in there 5.0. I am looking at putting one in my 5.0 that I might eventually build the motor some. Please provide reasons why you went with the trans you did. Thank you

Non-electronic everyday use, AOD.
Electronic everyday use E4OD.

Why? AOD provides 3rd. and 4th. gear coupling directly to the flywheel; no torque converter action. Does this completely mechanically, no solenoids, or moving parts involved.

E4OD evolved from C6, husky, reliable. Very versatile. imp
Old 09-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

8686, MONGOLCHUCK and imp are on the money. I have used both trannys in 308 and 331 configuration. The AOD was horrible until it was upgraded, and a 3800 stall, then it was flawless. I don't remember my driver ever manually shifting the AOD. He just put it into Drive and let it do its thing. It was flawless. But remember, the OEM AOD is a different story and should be made "bullet proof." I gotta tell you I love and favor the C4. I love that second gear pull when that small block starts to scream. Also for "full competition" you have to at least consider the "powerglide."
Also, there are many companies on the internet who sell outstanding AOD,C4 and powerglide trannies.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Mustang8686

What do you think of an AODE? Would this be better with a manual valve body?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Mustang8686

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
8686, MONGOLCHUCK and imp are on the money. I have used both trannys in 308 and 331 configuration. The AOD was horrible until it was upgraded, and a 3800 stall, then it was flawless. I don't remember my driver ever manually shifting the AOD. He just put it into Drive and let it do its thing. It was flawless. But remember, the OEM AOD is a different story and should be made "bullet proof." I gotta tell you I love and favor the C4. I love that second gear pull when that small block starts to scream. Also for "full competition" you have to at least consider the "powerglide."
Also, there are many companies on the internet who sell outstanding AOD,C4 and powerglide trannies.
what kind of upgrades where done to the AOD. My mustang currently has an AOD in it and not sure whether to build it or swap to a c4.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Mustang 8686. For your stated purpose, I would recommend the AOD. Primarily because of the overdrive capability when highway driving. If you are not getting crazy with this 5.0, a standard rebuild will do just fine. If you plan on more motor, then a upgraded rebuild is in order. The upgrade consists of a stronger input shaft , modified valve body etc. Or by one through one of the major vendors.
Also, don't forget the most important item, your torque convertor. Weather you slightly modify the 5.0 or get a little crazy, 308, 331 or bigger, I would suggest installing a 3200 stall convertor. Converters are expensive and you can use the 3200 with any of these configurations, even slightly modified.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Close cousin to the AOD, the AODE /4R70W is an electronically
controlled overdrive, first seen in 1992. This unit has shown remarkable performance on the "Hot Rod Power Tour,
Drag Week" and in several classes of the NMRA and Fun Ford race series. Yes, I wish I had the AODE, now updated to the 4R70W , four years ago at the NMRA at Z-Max. This is a great tranny, but I would leave it to the more competitive/aggressive racers. Also, the AODE/4R70W comes with a $3,000.00 price tag. I would still stay with the ,upgraded, AOD for your purposes. Don't forget the torque convertor.

Search this Thread