5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

3.73's or 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

No, you can still get the 4.10's.
You just won't be able to get the driven gear so the speedo will work right........
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
It's just one of those things where I always think man it pulls good now I wonder how 4.10's would feel.
about a half second better in the 1/4 mile no lie

you can pull stumps
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I have 3.73's because I bought into the same BS that you are hearing about gas mileage, and shifting.. and blah blah blah....

Soon I will be installing either 4.10 or 4.56 gears. depending on my tire choice.

*edit* there is no need to do a "teardown" to replace a speedo drive gear. All you need to do is remove the tailshaft housing. I have a spare T5 hanging around at my house. I'll do a How-To when I get home (2-3 weeks)
so how much/little was your mpg effected? and what about top end speed?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
*edit* there is no need to do a "teardown" to replace a speedo drive gear. All you need to do is remove the tailshaft housing. I have a spare T5 hanging around at my house. I'll do a How-To when I get home (2-3 weeks)
cmon adder..... you know thats beyond the scope of the typical mustang kid.

after an R&R you need to separate the case from the tailshaft

im just saying...it might as well be a full teardown cuz IMO the hardest part is putting that "checkball" back in place after you pull it apart, other than time

and when peeps are questioning "how to adjust timing" and "TV pressure" im quite certain it exceeds their capability

@ giosoccer

you need to understand this....

every gearset over a 2.73 will affect MPG

(what do you have ? door tag....AX m=2.73, z=3.08, e=3.27)

it is directly related, but it is also directly related to ET gain.... which can equivolate horsepower

it takes 100 hp to drop a full second ET in the 1/4 mile, but a swap from 2.73 to 4.10 will do the same thing, maybe more
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

@nitrous bob. yeah i realize that anything but 2.73's will result in less fuel efficiency, but 4.10's might bust my ***** a little too much. i'm at 15mpg IFFF i'm lucky right now. what would i be with with 3.73's and 4.10's?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

STOP RACING EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!!

i get 21 mpg with 4.10's

thats on the hiway....driving cool (70-ish which is about 2500 on 4.10's)

wanna know how much gas i use at the dragstrip ?? about 1/2 tank for 5-7 passes

thats like 2 mpg
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
about a half second better in the 1/4 mile no lie

you can pull stumps
Yea, I forsee a gear change in my future. Now that I have the Mach I'm slowing gathering some more stuff for my fox with intentions on basically just racing it for the most part. If I do tear apart my rear axle or put in something else (9" ? ) it will be getting at least 4.10's
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

i don't race everywhere! i live in the suburbs of philly which is a mix of alot of backroads, stop signs, stop lights, and roads where i go 40-50 mph. i like to enjoy my mustang when i drive, i'll admit it, and i could drive more fuel efficiently, but i find that awfully hard to do. i would be in the 20's if i drove on the highway but that is very very rare
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you are doing something seriously wrong... my 347 powered 94 gets 19MPG with its 3.73's
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Dr.JZ

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
AWESOME answer based on nothing but the color of your fecal deposit from dinner !!!!!

have you ever even driven a car with a gearset other than stock ?

exactly WHAT mathematical theory did you base this on ???

the rpm diff in shifting is a whole 250 rpm......

if that raised rpm causes you you to "continually" buy new tires...then you should stick with your honda accord that "kills" mustangs

honestly people...... my @$$hole doesnt have teeth let alone lips.....

SO I DONT TALK FROM IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.10 is your best gear for drag racing, you'll lose 1 mpg tops from the 3.73 choice....but the leverage is LITERALLY the difference from yanking tires on a stock 5.0... to NOT yanking tires on a stock 5.0 and bogging a bit too
While this response provided an entertaining wake-up this morning, I do not make it a habit to get into ridiculous pissing matches with people on internet forums....I simply gave a a lighthearted answer based on ownership of eight Mustangs over the years, from 10-sec drag cars to "slow" 14 second street rides.....guess you missed the Roush P51 signature, ehhh?

it is a proven fact that even a stock '95 GT will boil a set of street radials with 4.10 gears; or, even 3.73 for that matter. Tire height and engine setup play major roles in which gear ratio would be "best" for a particular vehicle....no need to start bringing mathematical equations and "scientific proof" to justify an opinion for this particular post....I think most of us have other things to worry about in our life (or, perhaps not???)

I never claimed to be an expert, or have the gear ratio knowledge of such an esteemed mustangforums.com and myspace member Stop taking life so seriously....it is just a question about gear ratios...lol. Let's move on....

Quick Reply: 3.73's or 4.10's