5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

A couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
91Five0GT

Default A couple of questions

Okay, so about two weeks ago I bought my first fox. I wanted one since I was young and finally got one. Well I'm pretty new to working on cars and based on some searching and what a friend has told me I have blown head gasket. There appears to be oil leaking from the head, I have oil in my coolant reservoir, and there is some white smoke when I rev it past about 3,000 RPMS. I just want to make sure if I go to the trouble of pulling everything off that I find out a new head gasket/heads don't fix my problem. I figure I want GT40 heads anyways so that will knock out the possibility of a cracked head.

Another issue I'm dealing with is my airbag light blinks 10 times, stops, then does it again. Based on some google searching there's basically a way to decipher what this means. Provided I won't get fined for it, I have no problem replacing the wheel with a Grant or MOMO wheel. So my next question is, does anyone know if it is legal to remove the airbag from a vehicle made in 91 in CT?

Also, the car only has 83,000 miles on it and is mostly original except is has a cold air intake and Flowmaster mufflers.

If you read all this, thank you.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 91Five0GT
Okay, so about two weeks ago I bought my first fox. I wanted one since I was young and finally got one. Well I'm pretty new to working on cars and based on some searching and what a friend has told me I have blown head gasket. There appears to be oil leaking from the head, I have oil in my coolant reservoir, and there is some white smoke when I rev it past about 3,000 RPMS. I just want to make sure if I go to the trouble of pulling everything off that I find out a new head gasket/heads don't fix my problem. I figure I want GT40 heads anyways so that will knock out the possibility of a cracked head.

Another issue I'm dealing with is my airbag light blinks 10 times, stops, then does it again. Based on some google searching there's basically a way to decipher what this means. Provided I won't get fined for it, I have no problem replacing the wheel with a Grant or MOMO wheel. So my next question is, does anyone know if it is legal to remove the airbag from a vehicle made in 91 in CT?

Also, the car only has 83,000 miles on it and is mostly original except is has a cold air intake and Flowmaster mufflers.

If you read all this, thank you.
removing airbags is illegal... period.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

It was like that when I got it officer
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Id rather live with a stock steering wheel, than pay for fix it tickets and inspection difficulties.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
91Five0GT

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Id rather live with a stock steering wheel, than pay for fix it tickets and inspection difficulties.
Well I figured the airbag wheel is big and ugly, plus the fact that I'm having problems with it, I figured get rid of it if I could get away with it, but if not I'll fix whatever the problem is. Still going to have the inspection problems if the airbag light is blinking though.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Your local parts chain should be able to scan the computer I would think. And tell u what's wrong

There are a lot gt40 haters but I love them. Ported exhaust and a valve job really wakes them up too. No "p" heads tho....they have 4 hash marks and cobra/lightning gt40s have 3

If you find a set for 300 buy them, 400 if they have goood 1.7's on them
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Oh and if you do a carfax don't be surprised to see it has 183k on it

Very possible
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM
91Five0GT

Originally Posted by 91Five0GT
Well I figured the airbag wheel is big and ugly, plus the fact that I'm having problems with it, I figured get rid of it if I could get away with it, but if not I'll fix whatever the problem is. Still going to have the inspection problems if the airbag light is blinking though.
Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
Your local parts chain should be able to scan the computer I would think. And tell u what's wrong

There are a lot gt40 haters but I love them. Ported exhaust and a valve job really wakes them up too. No "p" heads tho....they have 4 hash marks and cobra/lightning gt40s have 3

If you find a set for 300 buy them, 400 if they have goood 1.7's on them
There are sets of rebuilt/reconditioned GT40s for around $330 but they're not ported. Is that a decent price? And why not GT40Ps? The fact that you need P specific headers doesn't bother me because I'm doing the exhaust at the same time.

Since I'm going to be pulling the car apart anyways, I might as well replace the intake and cam while I'm in there so what do you think would compliment GT40s well? I was originally thinking and Explorer/Cobra intake, but they seem to get even more hate than the GT40 heads. Besides Comp Cams or Lunati is there a good cam out there that will go well and GT40s? I've recently read the E303 and B303 would be fine, but it's been beat into my head that letter cams are ancient/garbage. If I have to bite the bullet and buy a custom cam, I will, but if I don't I'll happily save the money for the next problem that comes along (or a S/C down the road).

Sorry for so many questions. I appreciate your help thus far.
Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
Oh and if you do a carfax don't be surprised to see it has 183k on it

Very possible
I carfax'd it before I bought it and it checked out.