5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

California smog legal build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Default California smog legal build.

OK long story short Im looking at building my '91 5.0 . It needs to be CARB legal. It HAS to pass with out a peep since it will be my DD. Most people I have asked suggest some gt40 irons (since they're OE on the cobras) an e303, and an explorer/cobra intake. add in some good suspension upgrades 3.73's (maybe 3.90's?), short throw, and a driver mod.
The car NEEDS to be street able, which at such low power levels shouldn't be an issue. Ill be keeping all accessories. One tihng to keep inm mind is that a lot of combos even when fully CARB compliant by EO number, will trip the sniffer. I've tried looking through these and other forums and got little beyond the above combo.

Any advice/suggestions?
And before some one says it i no cant move =p
I also wont be finding any shops to pass me. The state has been cracking down VERY hard on those shops including using undercover cars to bust techs that pass them.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Ninety3Coupe

As far as I know, and I am sure others will chime in with better info, these cars are pretty darned good about the sniff test. I had a tech tell me once that as long as it has cats and passes the visual - it'll pass. Don't know how good a smog guy he was, but he sounded confident (it passed btw).

I too live in The People's Republic of California (I hate this damned state) and I too want to modify within the constraints of the law. Ok, I don't WANT to but I gotta.

Sounds like the mods listed should let you be just ducky when it comes sniffer time. Yes, the culmination of parts can lead to more than you bargained for (or less if you start adding the "claimed" hp for mods!), but in this case I think you should be fine.

I will be keeping a keen eye on this thread as the combo sounds right up my alley.

Good luck sir.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

I read somewhere on here that the Cobra manifold will NOT pass CA emissions. (Correct me if I'm wrong) You could always supercharge the stock motor. I'm pretty sure Procharger is 50 state CARB legal.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Ninety3Coupe

Originally Posted by nightcrawler52
I read somewhere on here that the Cobra manifold will NOT pass CA emissions. (Correct me if I'm wrong) You could always supercharge the stock motor. I'm pretty sure Procharger is 50 state CARB legal.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-manifold.html

I found it.

The 5th poster down says it is in fact CA legal.

But no one is ever wrong on a forum...

So I found this and it seems much, much more likely.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...ra-intake.html

Good info to have I'd say.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Wow thanks for the info. Maybe I can substitute the cobra with the GT-40 then. I emailed summit and they advised me to speak to a local referee. I may do that to be better informed but I may just go out and buy a '75 or older car an be down with this non-sense.