5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ET and upgrade opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i didnt read all the way through, a lot of different opinion on weight, but my work has a DOT scale scale that po-po uses to ticket trucks. certified yearly to +/- 20 lbs

my '90 vert (aod) weighed in at 3450 with 1/2 tank , i always assume a sn95 vert is 3600 with no driver but many have stated likewise. so yeah... weigh it yourself. besides speaker boxes, spare tires, jacks... all that stuff adds up. losing a 100 lbs is like adding 10 hp.... for free

gear is number one for you, i'd reconsider the 3.73 for 4.10 but thats me.

i'd say nitrous for sure... but you said no (fyi my '90 vert went from 15.60 to 14.10 on a zex 100 shot) street tires and 3.73, 4.10 it would have broken into the 13's for sure provided i made it hook, and the 15.60 probably would have been more like 15.10

find a set of used stickies on a set of rims...just drag em to the track with you.

every tenth of sixty you can cut... is good for about 2 tenths ET and im betting you were in the 2.2-2.3 range on 60 foot

1.7-1.8 is what u should be aiming for, nearly impossible to get better than a 2.0 on a street radial though

drop weight, do all the free stuff (12* timing, silencer removal etc)

thatll get you going
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94GTRagtop
I was thinking some weld-on sub-frame connectors (something I can/am equipped to do),stickier tires,better brakes,and install a kit to replace all the old bushings and such,maybe drop it 1.5-2" as well (everything I own eventually gets dropped a bit,LOL)...since it will always be a driver of some sort,I want to find a good compromise beween carving corners,ride quality and drags-if such a setup exists,LOL!

Here are a few parts to consider:

Our full length sub frame connectors are very nice, and they're just over $100 with the MF member discount:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html

It's easier to just replace the control arms than it is to replace the bushings in the rear suspension. Our upper & lower kit is only $179 with the MF discount:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html

Good springs for all around ride & handling:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

^^our springs are made by Eibach and they spec the same as their Pro Kit springs. A 1.5" drop that is enough to improve the handling, but not so much that they ruin the ride quality.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 AM
94GTRagtop

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Here are a few parts to consider:

Our full length sub frame connectors are very nice, and they're just over $100 with the MF member discount:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html

It's easier to just replace the control arms than it is to replace the bushings in the rear suspension. Our upper & lower kit is only $179 with the MF discount:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html

Good springs for all around ride & handling:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

^^our springs are made by Eibach and they spec the same as their Pro Kit springs. A 1.5" drop that is enough to improve the handling, but not so much that they ruin the ride quality.
PM sent

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
i didnt read all the way through, a lot of different opinion on weight, but my work has a DOT scale scale that po-po uses to ticket trucks. certified yearly to +/- 20 lbs

my '90 vert (aod) weighed in at 3450 with 1/2 tank , i always assume a sn95 vert is 3600 with no driver but many have stated likewise. so yeah... weigh it yourself. besides speaker boxes, spare tires, jacks... all that stuff adds up. losing a 100 lbs is like adding 10 hp.... for free

gear is number one for you, i'd reconsider the 3.73 for 4.10 but thats me.

i'd say nitrous for sure... but you said no (fyi my '90 vert went from 15.60 to 14.10 on a zex 100 shot) street tires and 3.73, 4.10 it would have broken into the 13's for sure provided i made it hook, and the 15.60 probably would have been more like 15.10

find a set of used stickies on a set of rims...just drag em to the track with you.

every tenth of sixty you can cut... is good for about 2 tenths ET and im betting you were in the 2.2-2.3 range on 60 foot

1.7-1.8 is what u should be aiming for, nearly impossible to get better than a 2.0 on a street radial though

drop weight, do all the free stuff (12* timing, silencer removal etc)

thatll get you going
Ugh...D.O.T. ...LOL,Federal DOT is who put me completely out of work in 2008 due to my injuries from 2001 (long story),LMBO! I drove long haul from '95 (after ETS'ing the Army in late '94) until late 2007,then short haul and local gigs until '08...tha's what made me think of the CAT Scales,LOL! Kool beans you working in a similar industry

No speaker boxes in it,but the spare/jack and such will be left home this week (assuming I can make it out),so that's good advice well taken too.

.373's were installd today (should be ready to pick up tomorrow,needed more tweak as I didn't spring for the install kit they needed,LOL),we'll see how that works util spring.

I'm not ruling NOS out indefinately,but it won't happen this season (for one thing,only 3 weeks left to run it this season,no funds to do it),and I want to make sure it's internals can handle it before I ever do add it...it has 157K miles on it and I haven't owned it long enough to know how it does yet. But yeah,13's is the goal (any more serious,I'll probly buy another-not as nice a driver/cruiser as this one).

I was actually a bit slower in the 60,where I was babying the clutch so much on launch,and fully believe I would have run low 15's had I a new clutch and better tires. I'l be running with the same tires,but a new clutch this week,and I'll be working on getting that down. My reaction time was low...lower than a several I ran against according to the slip,so it had to be the easy launching,LOL!

Come tax time (or if finances open a bit before),I'll be looking for a second pair of wheels (or a nice set,then use 2 of th stockers) and some cheaters (they have to be DOT street legal to be legal to ru-they ARE allowing full slicks these last 3 weeks though),so a check there too.

I'll see where I can shave a few extra pounds here nd there too,the timing/tune should be good to go too (it does need plug wires-not desperately so-and I didn't have the $ to spring for those this week either,but they told me which ones were the worst,so...).

HOPEFULLY I can make it out there this week too,and see what I can do with what I have. I'll updat here if I do. And thanks to all of you who've offered tips,advice and help,you're appreciated
Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94GTRagtop
PM sent
PM replied. I'm happy to help you whenever you're ready.