5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My 85 4 eye after a wash

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there t'aint nothin 85 about that car except the nose. what's the build consist of on that 89-93 stang of yours??
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Err...yeah, you're right. I just watched the vid and not even the interior is a match. If that IS an 85 vin then I wonder why someone would convert everything about it except the nose. Not to memention 85 was carbed and swapping to fuel injected alone would be a pain
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
there t'aint nothin 85 about that car except the nose. what's the build consist of on that 89-93 stang of yours??
So it isnt an 85 because you say so?

The build consists of an 85 front end, thats all.

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
Err...yeah, you're right. I just watched the vid and not even the interior is a match. If that IS an 85 vin then I wonder why someone would convert everything about it except the nose. Not to memention 85 was carbed and swapping to fuel injected alone would be a pain
It is an 85 vin, otherwise it wouldnt have said "85" on the thread title. Its not the original 85 block, motor needed to be rebuilt about 2-3 years ago(stock carb motor) and it was decided to just find a 92 motor,tear it apart and build it for boost.

Last edited by darkmach1; 10-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by darkmach1
So it isnt an 85 because you say so?

The build consists of an 85 front end, thats all.
okay let me rephrase it, IT'S not a true 85 and yes along with many on 4eyepride would say the same, I think you misunderstood what I'm getting at and yes I'm a purist when it comes to 4 eyes , to each his own. I didn't say the car looks bad, it's a nice car, and when I refered to build no need to take it personal, I was refering to the motor/drivetrain.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

okay let me rephrase it, IT'S not a true 85 and yes along with many on 4eyepride would say the same, I think you misunderstood what I'm getting at and yes I'm a purist when it comes to 4 eyes , to each his own. I didn't say the car looks bad, it's a nice car, and when I refered to build no need to take it personal, I was refering to the motor/drivetrain.
Not a true 85? LOL. I didnt take any of it personal, I've been on forums long enough to not let any of it bother me. I bought this car for one purpose, racing. Not to keep it bone stock for another 20-30 years to try to sell it on Barrett Jackson, its not a 69 camaro, or GTO or Corvette or 70 Mach1. I almost bought an 86 t-top, didnt like the interior, to me the 87-93 looks much better. I went out an bought a decent platform, thats not rusted to hell and has some kind of baseline from where to start modding. Its a 92 motor, blueprinted and balanced with 306 forged rotating assembly, around 9.5:1 comp, Holley systemax top end kit, BBK 70mm TB, C&L intake tube, Pro-M 80mm MAF, BBK LTs, X-pipe, Mac catback, Promotion world class T5, pro 5.0 SS, aluminum flywheel, King Cobra clutch, built 8.8 diff, driveshaft loop, SVE upper and lower control arms, SVE subframe connectors and aftermarket shocks/struts and springs.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Its a gorgeous car, its just you could have had an 89-93 do a front end swap and had the same result lol why the interior swap anyway?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

nice job done on this. keeping it clean in FL makes it possible. I like it no matter what anyone else says. Looks like fun, be safe, enjoy!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:18 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
Its a gorgeous car, its just you could have had an 89-93 do a front end swap and had the same result lol why the interior swap anyway?
Well its not like I was looking around for this exact look, I was looking at any clean Foxbodies in my area (except for 87-93 GTs or convertibles) and this was by far the cleanest. I must have looked at like 6-8 cars (there were much more for sale but not worth mentioning) and were all missing something, there was 4cyl-5.0 swap with a badass motor but exterior and interior needed more money than what it the owner was asking for, there was a nice notch with a great paint job and exterior but "blown headgasket" according to owner (didnt start) and another that was decent all around but when I got under it, it was rusted to ****. My 85 was in the best shape and I know the previous owners so I wont get shafted with a car that will fall apart in a few months. Original interior was in bad shape, the owner before the one I bought it from had tons of spare fox parts including a perfectly good 87-93 complete dash so he used it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Not a true 85? LOL. I didnt take any of it personal, I've been on forums long enough to not let any of it bother me. I bought this car for one purpose, racing. Not to keep it bone stock for another 20-30 years to try to sell it on Barrett Jackson, its not a 69 camaro, or GTO or Corvette or 70 Mach1. I almost bought an 86 t-top, didnt like the interior, to me the 87-93 looks much better. I went out an bought a decent platform, thats not rusted to hell and has some kind of baseline from where to start modding. Its a 92 motor, blueprinted and balanced with 306 forged rotating assembly, around 9.5:1 comp, Holley systemax top end kit, BBK 70mm TB, C&L intake tube, Pro-M 80mm MAF, BBK LTs, X-pipe, Mac catback, Promotion world class T5, pro 5.0 SS, aluminum flywheel, King Cobra clutch, built 8.8 diff, driveshaft loop, SVE upper and lower control arms, SVE subframe connectors and aftermarket shocks/struts and springs.
yeah my 85 is stock in my sig, it's slow as a wet turd rolling down a hill, one of these days I may make it fast. your's sounds bad "a" in the video, it'd wipe mine all over the pavement... forged rotating assembly??? pistons forged?? rods forged?? crank forged??? was the rotating assembly expensive?? stock heads?? like I said it's a clean car so good find
Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

yeah my 85 is stock in my sig, it's slow as a wet turd rolling down a hill, one of these days I may make it fast. your's sounds bad "a" in the video, it'd wipe mine all over the pavement... forged rotating assembly??? pistons forged?? rods forged?? crank forged??? was the rotating assembly expensive?? stock heads?? like I said it's a clean car so good find
Crank, rods and pistons are all forged. A forged rotating assembly with everything you need is between 1500-just over 2k depending on how fancy you want to get. Heads and intake are Holley systemax and the cam is a Lunati roller cam.

Quick Reply: My 85 4 eye after a wash