5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

i wanna do a motor build i need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by motorman524
TFS 190 FAC heads with a custom cam and a TFS R intake. The parts your wanting to put on won't hit your 400hp mark.
See above post...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Im not sure if you've thought putting a super charger on "down the road" out thoroughly. If you're going with any type of forced induction the last thing you should consider is higher compression. If you aren't decided on induction yet stop where you're at and decide that first, then build an engine for either na or sc. Its not too hard to reach the 300-400 range as stated previously
Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Yea I def agree with all the above posts. But this guy seems to be very confused as to how to make the power. I'd say if you're a DIY're then get a 5.0 block, have it cleaned and machined, buy a 347 stroker kit and then put it all together. Keep the compression ratio at 9.5:1. After the short block is complete then go with a matching top end kit...Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley Systemax, Trickflow...any of those will be fine for you. Some will swear by one or another but it all comes down to preference IMO. I will say the Trickflow kit is probably a bit better. Once it's all complete then install it, have it dyno tuned and off you go.

If you aren't the DIY type then just go purchase a 347 stroker long block crate engine and drop it off a a shop for installation. After it's installed take it to a dyno shop, have it tuned and call it a day. No guess work, no homework, simple and easy and definitely reliable. There will be no surprises and the combo will last for a good amount of time if you take care of it...either of those two options will still give you room to add forced induction later if you so desire and it will give you your target hp if not more...
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
driftguy2008
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
Yea I def agree with all the above posts. But this guy seems to be very confused as to how to make the power. I'd say if you're a DIY're then get a 5.0 block, have it cleaned and machined, buy a 347 stroker kit and then put it all together. Keep the compression ratio at 9.5:1. After the short block is complete then go with a matching top end kit...Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley Systemax, Trickflow...any of those will be fine for you. Some will swear by one or another but it all comes down to preference IMO. I will say the Trickflow kit is probably a bit better. Once it's all complete then install it, have it dyno tuned and off you go.

If you aren't the DIY type then just go purchase a 347 stroker long block crate engine and drop it off a a shop for installation. After it's installed take it to a dyno shop, have it tuned and call it a day. No guess work, no homework, simple and easy and definitely reliable. There will be no surprises and the combo will last for a good amount of time if you take care of it...either of those two options will still give you room to add forced induction later if you so desire and it will give you your target hp if not more...
im a DYI guy but my dad is a Chrysler mechanic for 18yrs and has built more motors then he can count. so he knows what he's doing this is going to be my first motor build. so were thinking stock block so what does the 5.0 need to make 350-400hp? if he have to put force induction id rather go super charged.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by driftguy2008
im a DYI guy but my dad is a Chrysler mechanic for 18yrs and has built more motors then he can count. so he knows what he's doing this is going to be my first motor build. so were thinking stock block so what does the 5.0 need to make 350-400hp? if he have to put force induction id rather go super charged.
1st of all, unless you go ***** to the wall, youre NOT going to get 400hp out of a 302 CID motor...

a turbo will 1: make more power on the same boost as a blower

and

2: be easier on the motor than a blower as well...

if you want 400hp your best bet is going to be:

347 shortblock with flat-tops

TFS 190 FAC heads

TFS 3 cam

TFS R-series intake or an EFI Spyder intake

90mm TB

LMAF

1 3/4" longtubes

and a few other things...

this will put you around 10:1 compression and make good power to around 6500 or so. should be in the area of 400rwhp too and will be about the cheapest way to do a good build. not great, but for the money you really cant get better than this
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
driftguy2008
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
1st of all, unless you go ***** to the wall, youre NOT going to get 400hp out of a 302 CID motor...

a turbo will 1: make more power on the same boost as a blower

and

2: be easier on the motor than a blower as well...

if you want 400hp your best bet is going to be:

347 shortblock with flat-tops

TFS 190 FAC heads

TFS 3 cam

TFS R-series intake or an EFI Spyder intake

90mm TB

LMAF

1 3/4" longtubes

and a few other things...

this will put you around 10:1 compression and make good power to around 6500 or so. should be in the area of 400rwhp too and will be about the cheapest way to do a good build. not great, but for the money you really cant get better than this

what can you get out of a 5.0 then? and would i have to get my block bored out or is there a block i can buy? and with the 347 short block with every other part what would my price be on parts only as im going to be doing the work with my dad?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna give you my honest opinon. If I am incorrect or mistaken then someone please inform me. OP, You can build a high compression 5.0 with a massive cam and a nice top end kit and get it the vicinity of your goals. However, that combination is not gonna be any good as a DD. Also it's not gonna be reliable for everyday use. It's gonna have a rough idle, poor street manners, and terrible gas mileage. You're gonna need to upgrade your torque converter because of the cam and use a (numerically) high rear gear ratio. On top of that you're gonna have to only use high octane gas and tuning that thing is prob gonna be a nightmare.

If you are intent on using a 302 and staying in the 302-306 cu in range while remaining reliable AND good for DD use then your ONLY options are to either 1) Lower your HP expectations, 2) Go forced induction, 3) Nitrous, or 4) Forget about the DD use. That's it plain and simple.

Your hp expectations, your planned use of the engine/car, and what you intend to use to get the power you want are not coinciding with one another. You REALLY need to figure out what you wanna do because you're not really listening to the advice everybody has been giving you. The desires you expressed can only be attained using one or a combination of the following:
1) Stroker with top end kit
2) Forced induction
3) Nitrous

Now if you're not planning on using one of these methods to get your goals then you aren't being realistic. Change your expectations or listen to what everbody has been saying. Sorry if I came off as rude or if I was a bit redundant. And to answer your question, If you stay 302-306 and keep it DD friendly and reliable then expect around 300 hp. Like I said, if anything I said is wrong then LMK...

Last edited by DeathRattle; 10-05-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
driftguy2008
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
You can build a high compression 5.0 with a massive cam and a nice top end kit and get it the vicinity of your goals. However, that combination is not gonna be any good as a DD. Also it's not gonna be reliable for everyday use. It's gonna have a rough idle, poor street manners, and terrible gas mileage. You're gonna need to upgrade your torque converter because of the cam and use a (numerically) high rear gear ratio. On top of that you're gonna have to only use high octane gas and tuning that thing is prob gonna be a nightmare.

If you are intent on using a 302 and staying in the 302-306 cu in range while remaining reliable AND good for DD use then your ONLY options are to either 1) Lower your HP expectations, 2) Go forced induction, 3) Nitrous, or 4) Forget about the DD use. That's it plain and simple.

Your hp expectations, your planned use of the engine/car, and what you intend to use to get the power you want are not coinciding with one another. You REALLY need to figure out what you wanna do because you're not really listening to the advice everybody has been giving you. The desires you expressed can only be attained using one or a combination of the following:
1) Stroker with top end kit
2) Forced induction
3) Nitrous

Now if you're not planning on using one of these methods to get your goals then you aren't being realistic. Change your expectations or listen to what everbody has been saying. Sorry if I came off as rude or if I was a bit redundant. And to answer your question, If you stay 302-306 and keep it DD friendly and reliable then expect around 300 hp.
so what if i go with 300-350rwhp? isn't oem like 225rwhp i have the HO motor. so with my hp goals lower what do i need with 3.55 gears to lay down at least 300rwhp? any help much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

so what if i go with 300-350rwhp? isn't oem like 225rwhp i have the HO motor. so with my hp goals lower what do i need with 3.55 gears to lay down at least 300rwhp? any help much appreciated.
your car stock is like 170rwhp...

to get to 300rwhp youll need a healthy set of heads, a good cam and a tight stock shortblock...

302army has a stock shortblock, TFS 170 heads, TFS 2 cam, Vic 5.0 intake and he makes about 330rwhp on motor so thats a good place to start
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

The hp you want is not really the issue. I was basing all my suggestions off your statement that you wanted it to have DD driveability/reliability. The components needed to make that power with only 302-306 cu in is not really gonna be good for every day use IMO. If you stille desire everday DD level hp then get a short block and do a mild to moderate top end kit (Performer RPM, Twisted Wedge, Systemax 2). That will get you what you are looking for minus a little power. Maybe you'll see around 350 at the engine. Maybe a little more.

Look in Summit, C-list, Ebizzle, Jegs, etc...you might find some used stuff to piece together. For your sake I'd say make sure you get all matching parts. Don't mix match until you know more. Stick with all Edelbrock or all Trickflow, etc. Or buy a brand new package. The guys at Summit and Jegs are knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction. They're not gonna sell you something that's not gonna work right for what you want. Make sure you buy a strong rotating assembly and make sure it's all in one kit. Don't go buying a crank from one place and the rods from another unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Make sure the rotating assembly is balanced. Shop around initially but stick with one company once you make your first purchase. That will make it easier for you. If you follow that advice along with what everyone else advised you'll be well on your way. But like I said, just get a moderate compression kit, a 302 block, and a moderate top end kit.

Start it off with a CAI with an aftermarket MAF cal'd for bigger injectors (which you will need). You're gonna need a bigger fuel pump (190, 255) and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Upgrade the ignition with MSD components. Use some UDP's if you want as well as an electric fan, performance water pump, lower t-stat, and a 3 core radiator. Follow it all with L/T headers and a full exhaust. Upgrade your tranny with a kit and a higher stall speed converter (if it's an auto) and up those gears to 373 (manual) or 4.10 (auto). An aftermarket trans cooler is a good idea also...and make sure you have it dyno tuned to get the most out of it. That's what you wanna do. Later you will want to upgrade the brakes and suspension to match all that power. Start putting a list together...

Last edited by DeathRattle; 10-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: i wanna do a motor build i need help