5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Help deciding whether to buy 1990 Mustang LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Catrell92

Default Help deciding whether to buy 1990 Mustang LX

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy my first car, I'm 18yrs old and I've mainly been into riding street bikes for the last 2 years or so, I found this craigslist listing for a 1990 Mustang LX, the price was initally $2400 a couple days ago when I checked, I then just checked this morning and it dropped to $2100, in the listing the guys states this exactly word from word" Georgia Southern Car, rust free, clean title, good project car, new trans and clutch, good tires, runs rough, exhaust leak, mileage unknown, original matching VIN for 5.0 engine & frame. price was reduced. my name brian and my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx". I'm pretty mechanical inclined when it comes to trouble shooting with mechanical parts car/motorcycle, I really like the whole look of this mustang period from the color. To the wheels. I haven't made up my mind, but I really want to jump on this deal if it's a good one, I don't mind fixing the problems because I might do mods to it anyway, but what do you guys think? Here's a few pics of the car

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Run the car fax and see how many owners the car has had and if its been in any accidents.

The exhaust leaks can almost be expected for an old car and depending on how "all out" you go with the exhaust the repairs will be $1200 max (all new exhaust headers back) and less.

The engine running rough could be a multitude of problems, but with the motor having unknown millage it's likely one of two things. Sensor failure, or worn parts/gaskets.

Depending on how bad it is will depend largely on how much work needs to be done.

I'd talk him down even more and use that extra money to fix the car. You can get a 5.0 rebuild kit for a few hundred, but you're looking at hours in personal labor to rebuild the motor, that or at least a thousand for a shop to do the job.

However, with that said once rebuilt it will likely run like new as long as no sensors are defective.

Another route you could do, and this is what I did with my 95 5.0, is to can the current motor and buy a used motor off of ebay for like $600 and swap them out. Or your could get a low millage motor (like I did) and build the new motor up with whatever parts you want that way its a low millage motor with all new parts.

Really a lot of ways you can go with this one, and 5.0s are so cheap to fix/mod that the sky is pretty much endless if you can do the work yourself.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I had an 88 LX back in the early 90s, with those same wheels which were all the rage on that car back then. Having an old man nostalgia moment... That's a good looking car, always loved that color and it still looks good with those wheels.

I wasn't as knowledgeable back then, but I don't recall there being any big known issues with that model. One thing I did experience though, was that the radiator fan controller chip shorted out one day, and the fuse for it was too strong, and it caused a fire that destroyed my electrical harness and dash. The mechanic then said Ford had a habit of using higher rated fuses than called for in a few models at the time. I don't know if that's a prevalent problem in Fox Bodies or not, but perhaps something to be aware of...

I would've thought $2400 or even $2100 was high for it, but a glance at NADA shows much higher potential retail prices than I would've expected. It shows $2200 for average low retail, so maybe $2100 is a decent price even for a less than perfect car.

On a side note, KBB has really made their site into a PITA lately. Much too convoluted compared to how it used to be...
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Catrell92

Btw would you. Guys recommend to swap out spark plugs with NGK iridiums, because I know on my dirt bike it made a noticeable difference,
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I personally don't like running those specialty spark plugs. No real diferrence in a daily driven car other than making your wallet lighter. I've always ran NGK copper tipped v plugs. Things work well and are very corrosion ressistant while still being easy to gap if need be and are very cheap and affordable.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

no. ignition systems are designed to run specific core plugs. on fox's, its copper cores.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Catrell92

My uncle knows this mechanic guy, he's pretty cool and very reasonable with prices, he's basically the family mechanic, I myself like tinkering on my own things, I just don't want to wate money, honestly if there's something major. Wrong. With the car I'm not the type to elaborate or cry about it all day, I'm willing to put effort into it to get it running top. Anything I should look for specifically.? Because I know when my bike is running rough it's either a intake/vac leak , or an intermittent short, like I said I really love te look of the car lol
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Catrell92

Originally Posted by Catrell92
My uncle knows this mechanic guy, he's pretty cool and very reasonable with prices, he's basically the family mechanic, I myself like tinkering on my own things, I just don't want to wate money, honestly if there's something major. Wrong. With the car I'm not the type to elaborate or cry about it all day, I'm willing to put effort into it to get it running top. Anything I should look for specifically.? Because I know when my bike is running rough it's either a intake/vac leak , or an intermittent short, like I said I really love te look of the car lol
. I'm currently enrolled in college courses, my major is automotive technology, prior to this I already. Had an automotive back ground, at least enough to work on my own stuff if that matters
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Catrell92

O k. Guys, I emailed the guy and asked him exactly what he meant by "rough" he said it just back fires every now and then, he said he's trying to sell because he has bills to pay
Old 10-20-2011, 01:12 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The car is 22 years old, it will have some issues, most things 22 years old do.
Run a CarFax and then look it over carefully in full daylight.
It don't sound like it's too high priced...

Quick Reply: Help deciding whether to buy 1990 Mustang LX