5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Project Rustang Resto/Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by 302army187
for the love of god........ PLEASE

http://www.donathenracing.com/Order.html

drops like 35lb's from the farthest forward point on the car, just about the best possible place to drop that much weight.

I already ordered one for my weight reduction over the winter.

also, I've never removed the front clip...... lol... how hard is it?

To tell you the truth IDK if the front bumper reinforcement itself even weighs 35lbs....the 87-93 is fiberglass from the factory...NOW a 4 eyed front is solid steel and that is a different story lol

I'm sure that a single tube does drop some weight though but you can't beat what I did.....removed it and left it completely out lol
Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Motorman are you making the car more for drag racing?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
To tell you the truth IDK if the front bumper reinforcement itself even weighs 35lbs....the 87-93 is fiberglass from the factory...NOW a 4 eyed front is solid steel and that is a different story lol

I'm sure that a single tube does drop some weight though but you can't beat what I did.....removed it and left it completely out lol
The one on my coupe was metal. The rear one when I removed it did weigh more but it also had a bunch of dirt clogged in it
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Really.....maybe it was the last couple years they made it fiberglass then....the rear is still metal on my 93. I never took the time to remove it during the build.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Front on my 88 is fiberglass, rear is metal.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by fs308
Motorman are you making the car more for drag racing?
It seems like its heading that way, but not yet. They're supposed to be building a new drag strip about 40 minutes from me, just trying to make a really fast street/strip car.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
Thanks for the link!! I'm definitely going to be buying those.

Not hard at all. You can leave the lights in if you want. If you can unscrew a nut then you're in good shape. I just stick my arm down inside with a quarter inch ratchet.
good to know, Kinda wanna go pull a front clip from a junk yard, paint it up, and mount it on my wall with working headlights

Originally Posted by projectresto83

Well thats another issue I have. You know how I have OCD about weighing stuff, and taking pictures...... seems to be no real PROOF on the weight of the front bumper, just guesses.

my front bumper is fiberglass, and the rear is metal. I think most the weight is in the brakets, and little crash canisters that compress on impact, then the fiberglass itself.

so we will see. A guy on another site documented the weight of the rear bumper, and its supposed to be about 45lbs. but Id rather not take the rear bumper out if im still driving it on the street.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If I remember next time I am around the 83 I will pull my front bumper out of it and weigh it....the 83 is being used as storage for extra parts lol.....
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

What's the story behind that car resto? Seems like the car you have all the big plans for.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ok......my 83 was my first mustang I have owned. My mom bought it for me 10 years ago, when I was 15.....it was originally a Red with white interior v6 automatic hatchback with a factory sunroof...It was sitting in a field when we picked it up. Put a battery in it, some fresh gas, and cut off the clogged exhaust and it ran. After that it got sat aside for a little while and got stored at my aunt's house...in another field.. and sat for a couple more years....

Well after we got an exhaust put on it I drove it for maybe 30 mins before it started having carb issues....my brother had a couple of hours behind the wheel in it before I did.

So instead of just pulling the carb and rebuilding it we pulled the whole motor and trans out and got ready for a 302. So my brother got a 306 out of a trade for some other parts and it got dropped between the frame rails and then it got stored again...for a couple more years in my grandmothers garage.. I then hit my senior year of HS, finally got a job, bought my 92 cougar, regasketed the motor (blown headgasket) and drove i for the year. Then I joined the army, went to training, got stationed in TX and finally had a stable income.

I then made the decision after a couple of months in TX to pull the car to my house and start the research and assmebly. I then stripped out the interior because it smelled horribly of rat **** from being stored.. Not to long after I got deployed and then I joined this site.....while deployed I did my research, started learning and teaching myself and stockpiling parts. When I came home on R&R my brother came down and we started put it all together and it finally ran....

http://youtu.be/yR4pyFB9zCo

I drove it all year between my 2 deployments then decided to buy the 93 so I can park the 83 and work on fixing the floors and body work....it has since sat even longer and been used as a storage unit. The body itself is straight and never been wrecked. But since it has been a northern car its whole life the floor pans are beat. With as long as I have had the car I can not let it go and now that I am back home and I have another stang to drive I am going to take the time and restore it with no cut corners.

The whole time I have always wanted to make it different and custom in a good way. SO I have always been wanting to do a mod motor swap with a SN interior. I got to thinking and realized that the foxbody is the only mustang that hasn't had some kind of side scoops......soooo I threw around the idea of fabricating some side scoops and really making it a one of a kind... I have even been toying with the idea of flaring the quarter panels up a little and giving it that classic muscle curve and flare...

Basically I have stared at the car and toyed with many, many ideas and as soon as I get some bills paid and a garage to do the work again the progress will finally begin!

Quick Reply: Project Rustang Resto/Facelift