5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Project Rustang Resto/Facelift

Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Default Project Rustang Resto/Facelift

I've decided to use this winter to remove ALL rust from my car. I've owned this car for 7 years now and have been modifying it for the last 4. The car really means a lot to me and I'd hate to lose it to twisting and rust. So I will be cleaning up the under side of the car with new floor pans, lots of scrubbing and POR 15, and even replacing sections of metal if necessary.

The second part of this project will be removing the GT ground effects. I put that stuff on the car back in 07' and my preference has since changed. I don't know if I'm getting nostalgic or what lol, but I'd really like to have the car looking more like it did when I bought it. Luckily I still have all of the old pieces. Still gong with black though. I'm also wanting to get rid of the bullit rims as well and go with some prostar wheels.

Going to be a very long, painstaking process but definitely worth it in the end. Looking forward to the time with my Dad and Brother. Lots of pictures to come!

Current state

Floor pans came in today.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
I've decided to use this winter to remove ALL rust from my car. I've owned this car for 7 years now and have been modifying it for the last 4. The car really means a lot to me and I'd hate to lose it to twisting and rust. So I will be cleaning up the under side of the car with new floor pans, lots of scrubbing and POR 15, and even replacing sections of metal if necessary.

The second part of this project will be removing the GT ground effects. I put that stuff on the car back in 07' and my preference has since changed. I don't know if I'm getting nostalgic or what lol, but I'd really like to have the car looking more like it did when I bought it. Luckily I still have all of the old pieces. Still gong with black though. I'm also wanting to get rid of the bullit rims as well and go with some prostar wheels.

Going to be a very long, painstaking process but definitely worth it in the end. Looking forward to the time with my Dad and Brother. Lots of pictures to come!

Current state

Floor pans came in today.
Can't wait to see some progress! I always like reading build threads.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Good luck
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

lots of work! LX stuff will drop a good amount of weight.

PLEASE go with a cobra rear bumper. I want one for my car BAD
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187

Agreed. Less is more on these cars IMO. Never cared for all the cladding that came on the GT's. Keep us posted - I love a good build thread!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by 302army187

On top of the weight I'll be glad to get rid of that GT front bumper cover. I truly believe it slows these cars down. I actually bought a donor 5.0 car about 5 years ago with the intent of just swapping everything over. Not a whole lot from that car made it's way over to this one but I did use some and got a lot of fun out of it. Anyway, When I got the GT bumper cover in the mail I put it on the donor car and went for a drive. You could FEEL the difference in the two bumper covers. The GT cover was like pushing a board down the road.

I'd go with the Cobra rear cover if I was keeping the rest of the ground effects. Without them, the cover doesn't look right. The moldings on the cover won't match the rest of the moldings on the car.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
On top of the weight I'll be glad to get rid of that GT front bumper cover. I truly believe it slows these cars down. I actually bought a donor 5.0 car about 5 years ago with the intent of just swapping everything over. Not a whole lot from that car made it's way over to this one but I did use some and got a lot of fun out of it. Anyway, When I got the GT bumper cover in the mail I put it on the donor car and went for a drive. You could FEEL the difference in the two bumper covers. The GT cover was like pushing a board down the road.

I'd go with the Cobra rear cover if I was keeping the rest of the ground effects. Without them, the cover doesn't look right. The moldings on the cover won't match the rest of the moldings on the car.
never heard that before about the bumper pushin' air. Interesting.

idk, I've seen quite a few LX's with cobra rear bumpers and they look great. Maybe I wasn't lookin' close enough?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The ground effects are why the LX 5.0 is faster than the GT from the factory...they obviously weigh more and the kit isn't exactly aerodynamic.....

Motorman and Rob....you can get the Cobra kit for a LX and I do believe it has the LX style molding...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ok, I thought Cervini's had a whole kit but its not what I thought BUT

ABC exclusive has a kit for the LX and its just the lower pieces that you can tape, rivet, screw, or glue on...

https://www.abcexclusive.com/bodykits_colx703ra.htm
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

$250 plus $125 for shipping?!

are they ****ing high!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Rustang Resto/Facelift