5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

YAY.....d^mn clutch cable....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

all I can say is never again...I'll buy a stock motorcraft one and use the firewall adjuster to make the proper adjustments for slack....**** those adjustable cables...they don't work worth a ****.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by motorman524
UGH, now you have me thinking about replacing my LRS cable....
If you don't just be sure to have an extra one on hand....again, mine lasted 2 years of abuse, Oat's last maybe 2 weeks.... ya never know!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

when mine went I ended up buying a genuine ford cable. So far its holding up. dunno what the one was before as I got it in a package deal with other crap. but it held up for about 2 years with the way I drive..... That's pretty good.

Sucks it had to happen while you where out trying to have a nice day for the family. :/
Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ehh it happens....it was just me and the wife that time. Whats funny is she always hated riding in my car but she agreed to go out in it this time. It was the first time she rode in it since the EFI swap and having tail pipes. I asked her if it was better than the last time and she said no with a little smile lol. I said, uh huh, why do you say that....she said, Because your car broke........ so she has jokes lol....

It was also wet out so I couldn't play in it so it kept me from scaring her too...she got lucky :P
Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I was out with the wife doing some birthday shopping for my youngest daughter and as I was driving I push the clutch in.....pop.....mmmmmkay......a couple more actuations....pop, crack.....pop...clutch pedal gets more and more sloppy until it gets to the point where the clutch releases right off the floor. I finally get to Olive Garden where we were going to eat lunch and I pop the hood and see that it is broke at the very bottom where the cable goes into the adjustment piece....just hanging there.....by one strand of cable...

Well I make it home by just using the clutch for take off and make the trans use its syncros to shift every other gear.....

This is the first thing that has actually broke since I built the car so I can't complain. It was a LRS adjustable cable. I have had it for about 2 years now. Whats screwed up is that I know 2 other people who had the cable and broke theirs pretty easily but mine lasted so long with no issues....well $23.99 later and 10 mins the car will be back on the road in a couple hours when I get a chance to work on it..
Man, I certainly hate to hear of this. Please PM me your info & I'll have a store credit applied to your account equal to the cost of the cable you originally purchased. Same goes for you oatburner99

We have a less than 2% failure rate on our aftermarket clutch cables, which is one of the best in the industry. The only cable better is the Steeda one or Ford original. The MM cable is an OE Ford 96-04 clutch cable with the bracket removed, so that is why the failure rate is low there as well.

All of our 50resto branded parts carry a 1 year warranty, but especially in cases like this, we will definitely stand behind them.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by LRSjmac
Man, I certainly hate to hear of this. Please PM me your info & I'll have a store credit applied to your account equal to the cost of the cable you originally purchased. Same goes for you oatburner99

We have a less than 2% failure rate on our aftermarket clutch cables, which is one of the best in the industry. The only cable better is the Steeda one or Ford original. The MM cable is an OE Ford 96-04 clutch cable with the bracket removed, so that is why the failure rate is low there as well.

All of our 50resto branded parts carry a 1 year warranty, but especially in cases like this, we will definitely stand behind them.
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LRSjmac

Well once again 5.0 Resto and their crew have surprised me with their willingness to take care of their customers. Johnny Mac I appreciate it man. This right here is the reason why I continue to drive from Temple up to Waco to your shop and buy my parts for my 5.0, thank you for your dedicated service to your fellow mustanger's!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

PM sent
Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oatburner99
Well once again 5.0 Resto and their crew have surprised me with their willingness to take care of their customers. Johnny Mac I appreciate it man. This right here is the reason why I continue to drive from Temple up to Waco to your shop and buy my parts for my 5.0, thank you for your dedicated service to your fellow mustanger's!
Thanks for the kind words; Its what we're here for!

Shoot me over your info & I'll get your account hooked up as well.