5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

RUH ROH

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

looks like a home made turbo kit would have easier to do and could make more power but at the same time it would not have been as unique as what you are doing. Looks cool looking forward to seeing the finish product and the power it makes.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Looks like a cool project. Just dont forget all your nitrous know how. I'll be PMing you soon.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats man! Can't wait until you put everything on.. She's gonna be a beast!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
thanks bud.

For cooling mod's I've got a lot of ideas, but no real plans, haha.

Most simple would be using a small shot of nitrous, a dry shot, and use it only for the track. Meth is a option, but to me its the same hassle as nitrous was.

A ghetto redneck way to cool it would be to put my stock hood back on, and just cut a giant hole in it, so the blower sticks out, and gets cooled by the air rushing over it.

I would like to rig up a air/air intercooler, but not sure how that will work. I guess you could rig piping to a intercooer, and put a filter on the other side, but that seems like a hell of a distance for it to try and pull air from.

really, nitrous or meth seems the most logical at the moment.

Meth is a piece of cake, very cheap, and easy to rig up. A tank of that stuff will last a long time too. I'm not sure if you can rig up an air to air cooler since its blowing directly into the mani... Are there no heat exchangers that will work for you?

If anything, do what you were saying and hit it with a tiny shot. It wouldn't take much nitrous at all to cool that Heaton down.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Explosive

Man, excited to see you get it on there, at the rate my jobless *** is going you're eaton swap will be done before mine
Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I wouldn't worry about buying the termi's setup but I would get a regular idler pulley and make my own .

You said you have to used your typhoon lower so I am assuming that the adapter bolts to a unmodified lower then...

I have always like this Twin M90's on a 351

First of all, idk why you would go through all that fabrication, just to keep the coil packs in front of everything looking all ugly

Worse case scenario, I'll do some junkyard hunting for a idler before I spent any money on new parts.

The guy has kits or atleast the ability to make a adapter for ANY intake manifold. He said he could make one for my victor, but like I said, I can get a decent dollar for the victor, where I can't for the typhoon.

Originally Posted by kweb288
jus wait till you hear the wine! :-) my buddy says it sounds like "snookey" for j-shore lol

and are you sure about the head flowing? pretty sure those cobra heads flow a butt load.....
and your cam, what is it made for? if its a big cam for N/a or nitrous it aint going to work out to well.
WARNING with using nitrous with these blowers... It creates a doubler effect, so a 50 shot turns the hp up between 50-100, so if you do spray it start low as you can get outa control fast, not to mention the blower creates so much hp and torque down low, it may be a tad bit hard to hook
haha, yea, I have a feeling the whine of the blower will be addicting. My favorite exhaust videos on youtube are of SVT Cobra's come at the camera, SCREAMING like a banshee, then ROAR as they come by. Something about the scream of a eaton, and then the roar of a v8 that gives me a chubby.

The cam should be fine, its said to work well with some turbo guys. I'm considering going back to the stock cam to keep the RPM's lower, and inturn making the block last longer.

Buying a custom supercharger/boost friendly cam is not logical when the block is at risk.

haha, yea I saw that with the nitrous stuff, one guy said he was using a 30 shot or something and picked up 70hp. Another was using like a 75 shot, and picked up like 120.

Originally Posted by 98LS1

Looks like fun Rob, can't wait to see what numbers it'll produce. What's the ETA of the finished product?
Thanks my man. hopefully it will run as quick as I like. Just kinda got tired of the nitrous stuff, and more so got a great deal on this kit.

ETA is middle/end of january. I don't see the install taking longer then a day, hell probably 5 hours if it wasn't for me going to make a video on how to install this kit.

the hard part will be tuning the car myself. I hope that I can learn quickly that way I don't have to pussyfoot around for months trying to figure out stupid stuff.

Originally Posted by mjr46
You've been brown nosin' some of the ltd crowd on the corral, now they've actually got you thinkin you can make your fox fast with an eaton.
haha, not really. That LTD guy is pretty nice guy and all, but has a lot of odd things going on with that car. I can't bad mouth him, he has been talking to me alot, and we are starting to talk about tuning and all. Can't really knock a guy that has a decade experience with this kinda thing.

you doubt it will be "fast"? I don't see it running 10's first day out, but I don't see it taking too many track visits to atleast hit low 11's. It will probably take slicks to hit 10's..... If the transmission/rearend holds.

Last edited by 302army187; 12-14-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
looks like a home made turbo kit would have easier to do and could make more power but at the same time it would not have been as unique as what you are doing. Looks cool looking forward to seeing the finish product and the power it makes.
I dig a turbo more...... just not the fact that i would have to disassemble half the kit to check my sparkplugs is all, haha

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Looks like a cool project. Just dont forget all your nitrous know how. I'll be PMing you soon.
thanks man, and no problem, PM me anytime. nitrous stuff will be forsale as soon as I get time to sort everything, take pictures, and figure out shipping.

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Congrats man! Can't wait until you put everything on.. She's gonna be a beast!
thanks!

Originally Posted by Stone629
Meth is a piece of cake, very cheap, and easy to rig up. A tank of that stuff will last a long time too. I'm not sure if you can rig up an air to air cooler since its blowing directly into the mani... Are there no heat exchangers that will work for you?

If anything, do what you were saying and hit it with a tiny shot. It wouldn't take much nitrous at all to cool that Heaton down.
Well I don't like the HUGE tanks, I've been seeing guys use the oem wiper fluid tank, rig a pump, and then use it that way, so I may do that, but then you are going to have to refill the tank every time you go out in the thing....

With the way the kit bolts to the lower intake, a cobra style heat exchanger is too big in places to fit. I've been looking at people that use a remote mount small water intercooler type set up. Buick GN turbo guys use this kinda thing, but your talking about a custom heat exchanger, custom fittings, lines, pump, and somewhere to mount the external heat exchanger to get air, which on a foxbody probably means cutting a hole in the bumper.

Tiny nitrous shot would be easiest mainly because i have 2 complete nitrous kits, and wouldn't be nothin' to just use that. Hell I could use my small nitrous purge solenoid, and honda civic sized nitrous jets for a 25-30 shot, dry, and probably be plenty to keep it cool at the track. Problem is, i'm already in the danger zone for splitting the block.

Originally Posted by Explosive
Man, excited to see you get it on there, at the rate my jobless *** is going you're eaton swap will be done before mine

no problem man, don't sweat it too much. Focus more about getting a job, and money back into your bank account then putting something on your car that could potently cost MUCH more then the initial investment (I.E. you blow the motor)

Plus isn't your mach your daily driver? It won't effect me none if the mustang has to sit for 6+ months while I save up for a new block......... with the name Dart on it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

I'm glad you are buying one of those plates from that dude on corral instead of doing all of that ridiculous piping and mounting it off to the side like I've seen on others. I ran across his thread a few months back and thought it was a pretty cool idea. I really do hope you get the results you are looking for. I know the six banger guys use a similar plate setup to put these on and don't see great gains.. Should look pretty clean sitting on top.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
I'm glad you are buying one of those plates from that dude on corral instead of doing all of that ridiculous piping and mounting it off to the side like I've seen on others. I ran across his thread a few months back and thought it was a pretty cool idea. I really do hope you get the results you are looking for. I know the six banger guys use a similar plate setup to put these on and don't see great gains.. Should look pretty clean sitting on top.
I think most the sixxers are using M90 superchargers. which are complete ****.

We will see. As long as It run's LOW 11's, and I know I can get it into the 10's eventually, and be consistent, I will be happy.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

The M90 came on Super Coupes, so it's basically a bolt on and collect parts needed to make those work. I'm talking about using a fabbed plate for the M112, which is somewhat popular in their circles.

Quick Reply: RUH ROH