5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

GT40P head / cam pairings, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 PM
maritimer95gt

Default GT40P head / cam pairings, which one?

I know that this thread probably comes up a lot, however probably not as often for the 94-95 5.0Ls. Especially because of different air metering sensors. I was hoping if some members could steer me in the best direction for the setup I currently have (check out my signature) paired with a cam and a pair of GT40Ps. The heads have no hardware other than the valves and valve springs on them, what would work best. Do I have room to ditch the old valves to get bigger ones while still running an agressive cam? I know you guys will steer me in the right direction. I especially want to know what you have and how you like it if you're running such a setup. I'm not worried about streetable either, I can handle it.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maritimer95gt
I know that this thread probably comes up a lot, however probably not as often for the 94-95 5.0Ls. Especially because of different air metering sensors. I was hoping if some members could steer me in the best direction for the setup I currently have (check out my signature) paired with a cam and a pair of GT40Ps. The heads have no hardware other than the valves and valve springs on them, what would work best. Do I have room to ditch the old valves to get bigger ones while still running an agressive cam? I know you guys will steer me in the right direction. I especially want to know what you have and how you like it if you're running such a setup. I'm not worried about streetable either, I can handle it.
first thing I should say is that if you buy the gt40p heads then you'll have to buy new headers to clear the different spark plug angle.

Other than that you can go with any decent street cam. Comp cams' shelf cams seem to be the best in my experience, but if you really want to squeeze every drop of power out of it your best bet is to get a custom grind.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
maritimer95gt

Originally Posted by jojobanks
first thing I should say is that if you buy the gt40p heads then you'll have to buy new headers to clear the different spark plug angle.
A buddy of mine has a set of headers on his GT40Ps and was able to fanagle his way around the spark plug problem. I know for a fact that they are not GT40P specific headers. He does have a fox body though so I wonder if that might make a difference in how close the bends are to the flanges compared to mine.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

gt40p's will run best with the stock cam and 1.7 rockers

dont expect much...you wont feel it thats for sure. "P" heads are the best way to waste money
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maritimer95gt
A buddy of mine has a set of headers on his GT40Ps and was able to fanagle his way around the spark plug problem. I know for a fact that they are not GT40P specific headers. He does have a fox body though so I wonder if that might make a difference in how close the bends are to the flanges compared to mine.
try-y type headers should work well. Or just buying headers made to fit the heads. Other than that you've gotta dent the crap out of your headers (which really defeats the purpose of having headers).

also as bob says, the gt40p heads won't have near the gain over stock that, for an example, a set of edelbrock rpm heads would have. Not even close. The Best reason I can see to switch to gt40p heads is just a bit of cheap added performance plus the weight reduction cost of going with aluminum heads.

Last edited by jojobanks; 01-24-2012 at 05:29 AM.