5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Rear End Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Cool Rear End Work

So i wanted to get the Trac lok worked on and probably bigger axles (32 spline)

Is this hard to do in a garage? Difficulty level. I have taken top end of motor apart on my other car and all around shade tree mechanic. IF its to hard to do anybody have any estimates on how much it would cost to get this done? Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

i want dual burn out marks and better launches for down the road when i actually get some ish done to her...and of course the local burnout pit once a year
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

If you're simply swapping out the carrier it isn't too bad, you will need to reshim it though. I can't remember exact process but you can do it ok in a garage on the floor.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Ill probably get flamed for this. But don't bother replacing the axels. To go to 32 spline you'd need new axles, and a new carrier. Save your money 28 spline will do you just fine. Call me when you shear an axel and tell me I'm wrong. Its just a waste especially if your sticking with 4 lug.

As for rebuilding the posi, its quite easy. Take the money you were going to toss into the wind on the axels, buy some decent gears while you have the rear end apart and buy a new clutch pack from a reputable place.

Taking the whole rear end apart is the easy part. Rebuilding the posi is a piece of cake if you carefully note how you took it apart.

Putting the carrier back in, and setting the pinion preload is the hard part. Take your time, and be prepared to have that carrier in and out of there well over 5 times until you have a good gear pattern.

There's tons of how to threard on the web that your good friend google will help you find.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Without the proper tools your rear end is more than likely going whine at certain speeds after you rebuild it... being a novice.

Disassembly is simple.

Where did you see 32 spline? 31 spline is the normal ford rear end upgrade.

I took my stripped down rear end to a local mustang performance shop. Gave him my axle bearings, EATON posi, 31 spline axles, Ford racing gears, and every other part, all brand new. He has the factory ford tools.

Cost me about 150 bucks. Dropped the parts off at lunch time and picked the assembled rear end up after work. At 130 mph there is no whine in the rear-end... nor any whine up to that point.

Small price to pay for saving time and guaranteeing it will work... assuming he guarantees it will be problem free...

Make sure you keep the main caps in the proper place, they can not be switched or you will have problems.

Last edited by Tony71502; 02-26-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert
Ill probably get flamed for this. But don't bother replacing the axels. To go to 32 spline you'd need new axles, and a new carrier. Save your money 28 spline will do you just fine. Call me when you shear an axel and tell me I'm wrong. Its just a waste especially if your sticking with 4 lug.

As for rebuilding the posi, its quite easy. Take the money you were going to toss into the wind on the axels, buy some decent gears while you have the rear end apart and buy a new clutch pack from a reputable place.

Taking the whole rear end apart is the easy part. Rebuilding the posi is a piece of cake if you carefully note how you took it apart.

Putting the carrier back in, and setting the pinion preload is the hard part. Take your time, and be prepared to have that carrier in and out of there well over 5 times until you have a good gear pattern.

There's tons of how to threard on the web that your good friend google will help you find.
I'm not going to flame you but I do disagree. What power level are you at? And why wouldn't you replace the axles when you have the rear apart. A new ford trac lok diff. and new 31 spline axles can be had for $500. You'll have piece of mind even if you want to build a 10 second car down the road.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

With his car...don't see the point in going 31 spline axles....that AODE isn't gonna shock the rear end hard enough to cause it to break....
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Eventually down the road i will have that 11-12 second car...stall...c4...hoosiers...etc
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert

I have 5 lugs brahhh...and already 373 gears
Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Without the proper tools your rear end is more than likely going whine at certain speeds after you rebuild it... being a novice.

Disassembly is simple.

Where did you see 32 spline? 31 spline is the normal ford rear end upgrade.

I took my stripped down rear end to a local mustang performance shop. Gave him my axle bearings, EATON posi, 31 spline axles, Ford racing gears, and every other part, all brand new. He has the factory ford tools.

Cost me about 150 bucks. Dropped the parts off at lunch time and picked the assembled rear end up after work. At 130 mph there is no whine in the rear-end... nor any whine up to that point.

Small price to pay for saving time and guaranteeing it will work... assuming he guarantees it will be problem free...

Make sure you keep the main caps in the proper place, they can not be switched or you will have problems.
oops... 31 spline. DOH!

Quick Reply: Rear End Work