5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Mass Air, Injectors, and Pump Size I think...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

your stock ECU can auto tune as well......

I'm not sure it they can adjust themselves to the huge extent but seriously though....after you get done doing all of this what else would you be doing to it just on a whim? You can have multiple tunes for different boost levels and what not or just learn to tune it yourself.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

should've bought a quarterhorse. Its only $259
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by jake.becker
along with a new Holley HP ECU & EFI harness kit along with a 3 prong MAP .
TOTAL WASTE RIGHT THERE. i RUN 12 PSI , STOCK A9L ecm full h/c/i and any other bolt on you can think of and no tune and it runs great at cruise and idles great, no tune so far, all stock maf ecm....now it'll get a tune soon for WOT operation which is all that is needed.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
jake.becker

Why a waste? it runs like crap. you have to remember, my car is an 86. With out any MAF... plus I to have full bolt ons (heads on there way) and am bored .40 with speed pro pistons, and a comp cam. all my problems started when I put the blower on. Leads me to believe my air fuel is the problem... Air supply is already fully upgraded and fuel system parts are on there way, so what I am missing is something to control it. Hense the Holley system
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

It is a waste. Just do a mass air conversion and finish the supporting mods and it will fun just fine.....so long as something isn't broke or leaking.

What mjr said is absolutely true and I have also seen it many times over. Tune is only needed for optimal wit performance. Then that's where the quarterhorse can come into play and help out pretty cheap.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by jake.becker
Why a waste? it runs like crap. you have to remember, my car is an 86. With out any MAF... plus I to have full bolt ons (heads on there way) and am bored .40 with speed pro pistons, and a comp cam. all my problems started when I put the blower on. Leads me to believe my air fuel is the problem... Air supply is already fully upgraded and fuel system parts are on there way, so what I am missing is something to control it. Hense the Holley system
the blower is not the cause of your probs, if you have drivability / idle issues look else where for the prob All you have mentioned is your car run ****ty, you've provided no details to the prob, and all you are doing is making an assumption of the prob and throwing parts at it in hopes of correcting it....it's your money, good luck...............as I said I ran a full h/c/i set up on my 89 with only 24's, I added a t-trim with 12 lbs pulley, car ran the same as it did with the blower as it did before without and still had 24's with a fmu added, the fmu only came into play under boost, the car would run fine all day with the same fuel system.........being Speed density you need to look for the prob in your install, since a majority of load calculation/fuel trim is relying off accurate info from your map sensor which uses a vaccum signal, you need to make sure your install of the s/c is correct and you didn't fubar anything up and if you have a cam installed in it with a lot of overlap, that'll really mess with the map signal, so I repeat, the blower is not causing your prob, sorry to rain on your parade and purchase of an expensive system.

Last edited by mjr46; 02-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
jake.becker

The main reason that I want the Holley system is for dependability and to take out a variable. I am not trying to build something that is going to blow everyones doors off yet... I have owned this car since I was 15. I built it with my father who passed away suddenly last year. When we built it I was young and on a strict budget, so we spent a lot of time at salvage yards and "made things work." I converted the interior to a 1988 style and the exterior (bumpers and moldings) to a 1993 cobra, as well as all of the wiring throughout the car and ecu. I am taking your advice and canceled the order on heads until I do more homework and hopefully get a little more advice from you guys. I want to build a 331 stroker next winter, so i want to make sure that the heads will be good on that too. Any advice on heads?? AFR vs Twisted Wedge vs ??? Thank you guys
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
jake.becker

P.S- I would like to get at least 400 hp out of this engine for this summer...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

buy heads that'll work with a stroker, afr 205's or tfs fac 190's or tea TW'S 205'S, I HAVE aset of custom trick flow tw's 203cc's arriving soon for my 347
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

still wasted money on the holley system... like an idiot

Quick Reply: Mass Air, Injectors, and Pump Size I think...