5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Kyle's 91 Mustang GT 5.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Default Kyle's 91 Mustang GT 5.0 Thread

Hey everybody, last night I drove my newly bought 91 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible home. I've never driven anything like it before and it was one of the hardest rains i've ever driven in so it was a task but I made it back
It has it's issues, but it's a good running car and when I was doing about 65 on the freeway in the heavy rain I would barely tap the pedal and be at 80. I can't wait to take it out Sunday on the country roads and open her up!
The gentleman who sold the car to me is a great guy, he helped me a lot with me being a beginner by showing me where everything was and we're probably going to meet up in april at a big Ford meetup like a swap? Should be fun.
Basically the point of this thread is for me to update you guys and watch it myself on the things I do to the car, street light races I win and just an overall of me learning about the Mustang.

Issues it seems to currently have is:
-Window keeps falling loose on driver side, I think it just fell out of the little bracket area.
-No rear view mirror
-One headlight bulb out
-Small power steering fluid leak
-Speedometer does not work hardly at all

That's about it as far as I can tell so far, since i've only driven it for an hour so far.

I'm excited to fix a few things here and there on it as I can, and learn how to fix them, post pictures, and then put money into adding things to the car.

So far it has added on:

-BBK Cold air intake
-Off road H pipe (not sure what this is yet)
-2.5" JEGS exhaust
-9mm Ford racing plug wires

I'm really excited and i'm hoping you guys can post in here and help me out with small things I need to do to the car.

It's an automatic and I have never drive anything but a 130HP pontiac G5 and a heavy 170HP jeep patriot so I don't even know how to drive fast, so any tips on how to accelerate fast for a noob without burning rubber, would be appreciated

I will post pics when I take them tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the mustang world.

Rear view mirror is an easy fix. Find one at a junkyard or buy a universal one and then buy a tube of mirror glue at the hardware store.

Off road H-pipe is the exhaust pipe between the stock exhaust manifolds and that 2.5" Jegs cat-back.

Before too much abuse consider subframes. The convertibles are notoriously flexible.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Do me a favor, go look under your car and see if it already has sub-frame connectors. I have owned two verts and had a buddy that owned one. One of mine was stock as rock and my buddies was too. All three cars had sub-frame connectors.

People on the web call me crazy but, I just find it weird they all had them and they all looked similar.

I just think it is weird someone would buy a vert, put sub-frame connectors on it and not even do something as simple as a k&n air filter.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 02-24-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Pics are in garage.

Last edited by MrPack91; 02-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

With good tires and abuse of a stick shift.... over time it will damage the frame. Ever see old Nova's and Camaros with wrinked quarters. Not from wrecks but lack of subframes. And those were hardtops.

If converts came stock with subframes... I'm sure they are nowhere near as good as aftermarket. Considering how cheap Ford is/was.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but it's automatic transmission
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Yeah, my buddy actually had some welded over the top of the ones already on the car. They stop about where the torque boxes begin.

I did notice mine had a Kenny Brown sticker on them. So they very well may have been put on there. idk?

I also wonder what bracing makes a vert so stiff? I drove my buddies hatch and that thing will roll like a old truck when I jerk the wheel. All my verts have been stiff and don't roll.

MrPack91, the subframes connectors will be on both frame rails under the frame towards the middle to rear of the car.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 02-26-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Haven't taken her out in about a week the weather has been such crap. Cold and rainy.
Was hoping next week would be better but doesn't look like it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

How normal is a small oil leak on these cars?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Where is the leak. Leaks come with gasket failure/failure to install a gasket properly... all it will do is make your car filthy and slowly drain the oil. I suggest a fix.

Quick Reply: Kyle's 91 Mustang GT 5.0 Thread