5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Questions on body work and an engine build up. Newly acquired project!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions on body work and an engine build up. Newly acquired project!

Ok, so Ive been out of the mustang world for 3 years. Man I never stopped missing these cars. I just got my hands on a 94 GT. It has some issues though, it was T boned and the Passenger door and quarter panel was hit. I'll end up replacing that stuff in the next few weeks. If anyone has some advice on doing that, it would be appreciated. Im thinking of just cutting out the affected area of the panel, drilling on a new one, cutting it to fit and installing it. I would probably just replace the whole door rather than reskin it. I dont think the pillar is really damaged at all, the metal is folded in slightly around but I dont think that is a problem. See attached pictures. Now on to the engine. I wanted to build the spare 85" block up and swap it out. But, Ive read that the 1985 blocks might not be the best choice. I plan on building about 280 rwhp for now, and later about 450. Its going to be a junkyard special. I'll add all used parts, GT40 heads (lightly ported), GT40 upper and lower intake, an alphabet cam or other, cometic head gaskets (new), headers, and later a vortech P1SC supercharger. The original block in the car has 160,000 miles and the 1985 block has unknown mileage. Should I sell the 85 block and buy another block altogether? I'm thinking of just yanking the block in the car and selling it and the spare 85' block to help me buy this block. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Forged-Pistons This is my first time on rebuilding an engine, should I just buy the short block or should I rebuild the 1985 block? Oh also, the speedometer stopped working. The guy pulled out his stereo equipment and said it stopped working then, but I think its when he replaced the transmission a few months before. What should I be looking for? Im assuming the speedo cable is broken or something.

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Replace that door, not worth it to mess with that... I'd say the rear quarter panel depends on how good you are with metal, how patient, and how good a job you want. If you're confident that you have the skill and patience (if you have no skill, better triple up on the patience) to drill holes, use a puller to get things as close to normal as possible (you don't want to cake on the Bondo), and block it perfectly smooth, then go for it. If you want a perfect job that can't be seen, better get some estimates from some body shops.

On the motor, it might cost you similar prices on having someone bore out one of the motors and put together a roller for you as buying a fresh shortblock.

The speedo is completely mechanical, the cable probably slipped off the back of the console or out of the transmission. If both ends are secure, then check the plastic gear in the cable on the tranny side. Check the tranny side first, because it's easier to get to and if you suspect it happened when he did the tranny work, it's probably on that end. Pull the cable out of the tranny, and check that the gear is good, then make sure it's all the way in the tranny when you reinstall it. If its still not working, the cable probably slipped off the back of the speedo.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, Im not that good with body work. But, I have a friend who is and is going to help me. Fortunately, its not the whole quarter panel because I would have to do all crazy kinds of work. I found a semi-write up about it. On the engine, I still wanted to know if the 85 block was a bad block or not. I read somewhere its inferior, but I wasnt sure. I dont want to base a 500 hp build on a bad block. Which blocks are most desirable? Ive been debating on wanting to build my whole block or if I would be satisfied with simply replacing the shortblock and installing heads and etc... I want this to be MY project and dont want a lot of other people doing the work. It seems anymore the costs are so similar to rebuilding an engine compared to buying a whole shortblock. Lastly, turns out the speedo cable was fine. Fuse #8 was blown, it controls the speedometer, dash lights, overhead light, door dinger and a few other little things. I replaced the fuse and the speedometer started right up. Now I just need to fix the EGR, Ive got a code 332 and 334. Hoping I can disassemble them and clean it up and she will smog.

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.