5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

No Fuel. Testing Fuel Pump and CCRM Pinouts? Help?!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation No Fuel. Testing Fuel Pump and CCRM Pinouts? Help?!

Ok, so my new to me 94 GT died while AT THE DANG SMOG STATION! Just bought the thing, took it to be smogged, and it died. The stupid techs added 5 gallons of fuel...which I got charged full price for. They call me and say, we dont know whats wrong with your car, you need to come look at it. Funny thing is this is a mechanics shop too. I come by, stick the key in the ignition and twist...fuel pump doesnt come on. Big surprise. I look under the hood and the 20 amp fuse for the fuel pump is fine. So, I need to test my CCRM, but I don't know what/where exactly to test because I cant read those stinking wiring diagrams. I have these directions I found online.
"With the key turned to run and checking within the fuel pump prime-out period
(a duration of 2-5 seconds after turning the key to run): Check CCRM pin 5 for accessory 12 volts. If you have it, the issue lies downstream. If not: Check CCRM Pin 11 for constant 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 13 for accessory 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 18 for a ground signal during the prime-out."

So, if the CCRM is good, I then need to test my Fuel pump. Is that accessible under the back seat or do I have to drop the tank to test it?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

try testing it by hitting the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallot

and no, there is no access panel to the tank.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-19-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

I kicked the crap outta the back of the tank with my foot. Ill try a mallet to the bottom tomorrow. But I still need to know about the CCRM. Also, since theres no access under the seat, is there a place I can jumper the fuel pump without dropping the tank?

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-19-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

You should be able to get to the wires somewhere. I am not sure where the inertia switch is but, it will run out of it. On a fox, it is in the trunk.

Look for a pink/black wire. That is the hot for the fuel pump. If it has voltage, you know what the problem is.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the wiring for the inertia switch. That will work perfectly for testing the fuel pump. Since no one is forthcoming with the CCRM info, Ill test the fuel pump first, if it has no voltage I'll have to test the CCRM. Oh and FYI, the inertia switch on these is in the trunk adjacent to the drivers side tail light area. Thanks TrimDrip

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

The wiring for pump is accessable at back side of tank by rear bumper.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Yup, it was the fuel pump. The power was on but nobodys home. Lol. Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Good deal. Wonder if the car sat up for a long time? I have seen that happen a few times.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

It sat for 3 months before I bought it. I went and bought a Walbro 255 GSS340 in anticipation of major upgrades. Im hoping I dont have to disconnect the rubber fuel filler neck hose to get the fuel pump out. I dropped the tank and I have it propped up, we shall see. I hear they can crack. I checked on a new OEM replacement, 165$!!! If it does break, Im going to see if a generic dorman one will fit.

Last edited by rwdfan; 03-22-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

On a fox the filler neck slides out of the tank. Super easy The 94 must have changed. With all that said, I would just make sure I didn't knock lots of dirt in the tank while doing this. And take an air blower to it before I got the pump out. Personally, I would try to get it off but, I didn't know they were prone to break. I replace fuel pumps all the time and haven't had that problem yet.

I did change one on a 97 one time with no problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Fuel. Testing Fuel Pump and CCRM Pinouts? Help?!