5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Buying Fox Body, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Odin92

Default Buying Fox Body, Need Advice

Hi all, thought I'd register for these forums and see what kind of advice you could give me.

So here's the thing. Currently I have a 1993 Honda Prelude SR, it's been a good daily driver but it's having engine problems now at about 211xxx kms. It's gonna cost more to fix than it did to buy, so it's time to be replaced. A friend suggested I try to find a fox body mustang. Cheap to insure, maintain, and reliable. Found a 1990 GT convertible which I would like to be my year-round driver. Barring the obvious need to bundle up more during winter (a sacrifice I'll easily make) I have some other concerns.

So first about the car. It's a 25th Anniversary edition mustang. It's an American car so has about 75k original miles. It's completely stock and has had 2 owners only. It has minor cosmetic damage on the trunk and doors (cracked paint and scratched paint respectively) and a small amount of surface rust on the windshield column (top corner, passenger side, not a difficult fix as is), it looks great otherwise. It's 100% stock or stock-replacement parts. No bolt-on power or backyard mods. The owner is mature and selling out of necessity rather than need. It's had the soft-top, pistons, and servo-motor for the top replaced within the past year. The speakers were just replaced a few months ago with Pioneer factory-spec replacements. The engine bay is clean (for the age) and the belts are tight. Mechanically it seems very solid but has not seen a mechanic yet. The only thing it needs is the weather stripping replaced, which is not an expensive or difficult process.

Here's the issue. I need to drive it year round, and where I live it snows a lot in the winter and the temperatures can drop to -30 degrees Celsius overnight. My mechanic, uncle, and dad seem to think the wonderful Windsor motor won't start reliably in this weather without a block heater. They think I'll hate the car during the winter due to it being rwd, but from what I understand the car isn't particularly heavy, and I know several people who drive light, rwd cars in the winter no problem. I suspect I'd need to get a really good set of winter tires and some weight for the back but otherwise can't see any issues. I could remedy the first concern with a block heater if necessary, as those are not too pricey.

Overall I suppose my questions are these. The guy is asking $5000 CAD for the car, is it worth that price? Will the car be alright in winter (I understand it won't be as "easy" as my Honda was)? Will it be reliable? Will the engine need much work done anytime soon? And lastly, will I hate it? I drove the car for a few blocks and it seemed great from first impressions, but who knows.

Any input you guys can give, especially from present and past fox owners who have driven through snow, is really appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

According to google that's around $5050 in the US. Sounds a little high for a stock car that's not in pristine condition. We'd really need to see pictures. I'd be leery of the 75K "original" miles as the odometers only have 5 digits. I haven't driven mine in the snow, but from what I've read fox's are terrible for snow.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

i say not a good buy and not the right car for you.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

1st off.....there WAS NO official 25th anniversary car. the closest thing would be the 7up limited edition at about 5000 cars

but all 89 1/2 through 90 mustangs had the "25 years" badge since the 64 1/2 was titled '65 so it it is to represent the year fairly

i think $5k is too high, for $5k there should be no flaws and no rust. im not saying it should be showroom new looking...but no damage at all
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mustangs are crap in the snow.....I lived in utah for a few years and it took 3 of my roomates to push my car into a parking spot as it kept sliding sideways due to the t-loc rear wanting to spin both wheels. drive a honda!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

If your in a ton of snow id start looking for an older subie WRX. More performance than the mustang you decribed stock and AWD.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

wtf why are you guys suggesting that he buy a foreign car? How about buy american just not a mustang.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
mustangs are crap in the snow.....I lived in utah for a few years and it took 3 of my roomates to push my car into a parking spot as it kept sliding sideways due to the t-loc rear wanting to spin both wheels. drive a honda!!
Lol. It took three of my friends that were body builders to push my car out of the snow near Greensburg, PA. It was a bad snow storm... but damn it had no traction.

For the three years I drove it in the snow in Pittsburgh I had to take extra time and drive out of my way to avoid steep hills with stop signs.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Odin92

Ok, I'll clear up some misconceptions and reply to some posts:

@Five, In the US I'd say you're right, but unfortunately in Canada the prices of vehicles are so overinflated that this one is actually quite undervalued. To get something of similar quality where the owner is not being forced to sell would run me 7-10k dollars. I do agree with being wary of the mileage, and will be having my mechanic look for any signs that the car has been thrashed or too worn out for its supposed mileage.

@GT, care to elaborate why not?

@nitrous, same as above to Five, also I realize and it doesn't have any badging, just saying he showed me the sticker inside the door and the car was assembled in February of 1990.

@MrJ, Honda's are very overpriced and my Prelude was a load of problems after it hit 205xxx kms.

@Blue, I love subies, unfortunately for me to get one I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for to insure (i.e. a LHD) I'd be looking at about 2.5 times my current car budget. They're not cheap.

@All the snow concerns, I know how to drive in the winter. The roads here get plowed fairly often so I'd never be in more than say 10cm of snow, which I can handle easily. I'm wondering of all your "horror stories" had the car with a good set of winter tires, or did it still have street tires or maybe all seasons?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

While I've had my fair share of holy crap moments in snow when trying to go up to Flagstaff in the fox, it's truly nothing a good set of QUALITY snow tires can't fix. You'll be fine in the snow with a fox, just get the right tires, and drive slowly.

As for it not starting, you'll be fine there. If you're Prelude started reliably, the mustang will easily. I've had my fox in whether that was about 10degrees F and it still started well with no problems. As for miles, honestly, just check if it has any blow by or smoking. Also check for leaks. Miles aren't too much of a concern to me. These engines can be replaced easily and cheaply. And if it doesn't do any of the above, just take care of it and it'll last you easily into your money's worth.

Plus how many cars can give you so much fun for 50-70 bucks with full coverage?