5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Brake and Rotor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Jay_Man

Default Brake and Rotor suggestions

I HAVE A 91 LX WITH THE FOLLOWING,

HOLLEY ALUMINUM HEADS, CAM, ROLLER ROCKERS, EDERBROCK INTAKE, EDERBROCK/BBK THROTTLE BODY/SPACER, MSD 6AL, MSD COIL/CAP, ALUMINUM RADIATOR WITH ALUMINUM SHROUD W/ DUAL FANS, BBK HEADERS, H-PIPE, FLOWMASTER MUFFLERS W/ DOWN TUBES, WELD WHEELS, MICKEY THOMPSON TIRES, LINE LOCK, CHASSIS ENGINEERING REAR SUSPENSION ARMS, FRAME CONNECTERS, SUPER T-5 5SPD TRANSMISSION, HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH, PRO 5.0 SHIFTER, AND ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT

WITH THAT BEING SAID I HAVE STOCK FRONT BRAKE SETUPS.

CAN YOU GUYS RECOMMEND ROTORS, PADS, CALIPERS, TO UPGRADE TO?

THANKS!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Wow caps. Your list of mods doesn't help anyone at all recommend brakes btw. Are you looking to stay 4 lug or keep it 5 lug? What are your intentions for the car? Such as drag race or track use or what?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

i also need suggestions i got stock breaks and they r junk n i think from it sitting so long outside through the winter when i hit breaks my rear drums make a friction rubbing sound.... also parking break wrks except on unlevel ground.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Jay_Man

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
Wow caps. Your list of mods doesn't help anyone at all recommend brakes btw. Are you looking to stay 4 lug or keep it 5 lug? What are your intentions for the car? Such as drag race or track use or what?
I thought listing the mods would help just to show I have some power under the hood. I'm looking to stay 5 lug
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If you want it to stop on a dime look at wilwood. Im running a race setup they make that has 6 piston calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear. Its also a five lug set up. I love them. I went from stockers that wouldnt stop the car for **** to having to hold the hell on when I hit the brakes.

If you go this route prepare to do some custom line work. I stripped all my stock crap out and ran AN lines everywhere and really cleaned up everything. That not necessary though. You just need a new master and proportioning valve.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Jay_Man

Correction: Im looking for 4 lug options
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Start by upgrading to 5 lug.
Then pick a good name brand and go with a complete kit.
Verify that NO parts were made in China. When a made-in-China rotor or caliper explodes, it will do a LOT of damage, especially at speed.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay_Man
Correction: Im looking for 4 lug options
Well then I got you covered! Lol a lot of people will say go 5 lug for more wheel options, but since I already had nice wheels I stayed 4. If you are looking for stock parts but an upgrade from your system then heres what I did. For the front first things first, you want to locate some gt spindles, this allows you to upgrade to a little bit bigger of rotors. The big picture there is though you can install SVO calipers which are 73mm bore compared to your stock 60 I think it is. I went to oreillys and got performance friction pads when I did the swap, they seem to do a good job stopping.

If you want disc in the rear, you need either a tbird turbo coupe rear end or if you get lucky enough to find one, a 93 cobra rear. The turbo coupe rear is 3/4 wider per side, I have one in my car and I prefer the wider stance. It WILL bolt right in.

If you do that kind of set up you will need to look into master cylinder upgrades, and probably the booster. I haven't done the booster yet cuz everyone says its ridiculous to get in, but suppose to make a big difference.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Why gt spindles? He has a 5.0.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Because the gt's had bigger brakes than the lx's, 5.0 or not, it wasn't dependant on the engine. The svo calipers bolt directly to gt spindles, but not to lx or pre 87 spindles

Quick Reply: Brake and Rotor suggestions