Been awhile. Budget build advice? - MustangForums.com

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default Been awhile. Budget build advice?

Howdy, it's been awhile... a long time. Frequented this forum a while back, quick memory refresh. I had a 1984 t-top mustang, wrecked it back in 09-10, stripped it down to basically nothing. Pieced parts together to fix parts of it. But did major brain storming and realized it is too far gone to repair. R.I.P (shell is forsale btw, pm if interested)

I troll a lot of local racing forums, but don't want anyone to realize I have something in the works so I consulted this forum instead. I have purchased a nicer 1990 Mustang Gt roller. Plan on picking up a cheap junkyard motor, and trans.

Now on to the Questions. I am/have always wanted to go Forced Induction. I have heard good things about the on 3 performance kit locally and other forums. Plan on the upgraded 70mm masterpower turbo. (I will be replacing all the gaskets on the junk yard motor and what not, plan on doing atleast a leak down test before purchasing.) I know of a f-303 cam for sale here locally for a hell of a price. I haven't looked into mustang stuff for a long time, as I toyed in the subaru world for quite some time lol. Will the f-303 have no interference with stock heads? What else would I need to run that cam? I obviously know a custom ground is the way to go, but I'm on a budget. I have ~4k to spend, including a junk yard motor/trans, turbo, and all the tuning necessary.

What would you do if you had 4k to spend. I want the most bang for buck and most power, and be somewhat reliable. I have 2 other DD vehicles, but plan on driving this atleast once a week. I will not run nitrous, I have done it before, and just don't plan on going down that road again.

Thanks for any help. Sorry about such a long thread, I've been drinking and could talk stupid for hours lol.
Hollister Hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
tinman
5th Gear Member

Better get a forged rotating assembly among the'other things' that you are going to need...
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
MudDoc

would like to hear peoples thoughts here too, as I plan on going turbo'd with my stang project. I never would have thought about a turbo until dealing with some big *** shiny spinnny things in diesel trucks and when the turbo lights the snap is amazing
MudDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I figured the block was the weak point? I planned on picking up a 86-92 ho, figured the stock bottom end should be fine?

Whats a good cheap clutch combo these days? I ran a spec stage 2 before but hated it, opinions on centerforce?

So far from what I have read in the short amount of spare time I have is, to run a f303 I'd atleast need new springs/retainers....will the a-50 springs and b-50 retainers work? Or what would be best?

Figured I'd throw up a couple of the Mustang I'm working with sadly it no longer has the fr500's instead it has 99-01 cobra wheels I plan on plastidipping black for the time being. Miss my blue car, but for what I'm getting I couldn't be happier.

And one of old blue. R.I.P

Last edited by Hollister Hoodlum; 06-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Hollister Hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
tinman
5th Gear Member

If you are really getting ready to throw down $3-4000 on a turbo set-up you don't even want 'cheap' clutch stuff around.
Also, there are much better cams than Ford stuff out there for about the same money.
No, the stock bottom end isn't ok unless you want a grenade of some sort.......
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote