5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New here and a couple questions

Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Ban the Dead

Default New here and a couple questions

Alright. My dad wanted me to get a newer car because I'm going off to school in Florida. Instead we've decided I'm going to try to keep my first car (my 1992 mustang GT convert) for life. I've got a couple questions about it though to see how well this is gonna work out for me.

1: There's some rust on the bottom. Have any of you taken car of rust on the frame and stuff before? I was thinking of putting it up on stands and scraping off all i can now and using a rust converter and coverer until i have a wife with a car to use later down the road I was gonna strip the car down to the frame and take care of every little bit of rust and reenforce the frame so it'll last at least my lifetime.

2: Have any of you guys ever seen a real mustang front on the 3rd or 4th gen mustangs? the one's with a real american muscle grill and circle headlights? When i was restoring my headlights i noticed that the plastic behind them actually matches the format used in the classics and the newer ones. It has the one part where the grill is and the main headlights can go further back like this.

The reason i ask is because I was hoping to modify my 3rd gen's front end to look like that. Whether i can use a hood from one of those cars or fabricate my own. I'm going to match the real headlight style and make my mustang something like you've never seen before. I was just wondering if it's been done and i could see how it looks first.

3: What's a good horsepower to shoot for? I know stock mine comes with like 225 but it's probably a little lower from time and my sister and cousin didn't baby it like i do. I was only shooting for over 300 maybe. around 500 TOPS. It won't be my daily driver in a couple years. Just my custang(custom stang) cruiser.

4: How long does a transmission swap take usually? Will i need to cut holes in the metal or something?

5: Should i add more reinforcer bars or something? what are those called and is that something good or just kinda for the racers? I kinda wanna make it something people wanna sit in so can't really add too many bars.

Thanks for all the help if you've read this far