5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Speedo cable bracket question

Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
prangy
1st Gear Member

Default Speedo cable bracket question

Good Evening all.
So, I am coming for suggestions regarding the prong bracket that keeps the speedo cable in the tranny that keeps the speedo cable from backing out. I had the tranny out forever, and never realized there was such a bracket cause someone must have taken it off in the past. So, I was leaking tranny fluid and realized there must be a bracket that holds the speedo cable in, and bought one from a gentleman, well I found out why there is not one on the car anymore. The bolt that holds the bracket is broke literally flush with the tranny, so I can not get a pliers or any tool on it to try and get it out. It looks almost impossible to try and drill and easy out this bolt due to its location. Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying to jb weld another little bolt onto it and see if that will be strong enough and hold to get this bolt out. Otherwise I was thinking of just using some gasket maker and would "glue" the bracket down. I do not want to use something that will make it impossible to remove the bracket for future times, so I thought gasket maker would be easiest to get off with knife.

Thanks.