5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

But wait there's hope! *Dyno Content*

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Default But wait there's hope! *Dyno Content*

So i decided to strap the fox to the dyno to find out how its running before doing any more racing. The car has a systemax 2 top end kit, BBK LTs,O/R X, Mac mufflers and although I was hoping for 300 or more I couldnt help but realize that this would be best case scenario. The pull is made and as I look at the screen and notice 263/295....Disappointed! But as I look closer I noticed a torque curve that resembled a sine wave, yes up and down the entire pull. I noticed the car as leaning out, not seriously bad at first but really bad as RPMs increased, over 15:1 at one point. As I look at the power curve I realize the pull was stopped at 5k rpm due to the A/F ratios but the power not only flatlined but dropped after 4700 rpms, the point where AFRs go over 15:1. Timing is set the 14* base and no adjustment was made to the fuel pressure because it as found to be at 46lbs. A Diablo chip has been ordered.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

You were on a dyno where you could have done a actual tune and you chose to mail order??? I`m not sure i see the light?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
You were on a dyno where you could have done a actual tune and you chose to mail order??? I`m not sure i see the light?
You don't see the light lol! The tuner ordered the chip so he can custom tune the car.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

What kind of fuel system do you have?

And 260+ wheel is pretty respectable for most off the shelf top end kits... You'd get more power out of one you pieced together yourself and would have been cheaper.. I'd say you'll probably hit 280 max honestly if that's all you have done engine wise..

EDIT: There's also really no need to have a "tuner" for a fox, your dyno guy is lying to you unless you have a newer computer system in there... I really think your problem is in the fuel..
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
What kind of fuel system do you have?

And 260+ wheel is pretty respectable for most off the shelf top end kits... You'd get more power out of one you pieced together yourself and would have been cheaper.. I'd say you'll probably hit 280 max honestly if that's all you have done engine wise..

EDIT: There's also really no need to have a "tuner" for a fox, your dyno guy is lying to you unless you have a newer computer system in there... I really think your problem is in the fuel..
Car has a Walbro 255 pump, adjustable regulator and 24lb injectors. I didn't buy the top end kit, it was on the car when I bought it, given the choice I wouldve gone with a TW head and custom cam but I'm not going to take the car apart and rebuild it. The car is an 85 but has a 92 5.0 in it, its mass air not speed density and has an A9L, intake/ pro-m 80mm MAF, 70mm Professional Products TB, all emissions equipment off, AC delete and electric fan.

I know tuning these cars is all in timing and fuel but I want the best tune possible for not only power but also drivability.

Last edited by darkmach1; 10-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Something just doesn't seem right.. that's a good size pump and injectors.. those A/Fs shouldn't be that high... Do you have a graph of the dyno with the A/F map?.. And stupid question but you are running 93 right?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Something just doesn't seem right.. that's a good size pump and injectors.. those A/Fs shouldn't be that high... Do you have a graph of the dyno with the A/F map?.. And stupid question but you are running 93 right?
I agree, we'll see what difference we get on Monday or Tuesday. Only thing I can think of is semi clogged injectors, i might put some seafoam in the fuel tank or some STP cleaner.I didn't get the graph because it was a useless pull. Yes I'm on 93.

Last edited by darkmach1; 10-11-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well the chip being ordered was vaguely stated lol! Hope you get it worked out!
His wideband was snug no exhaust leaks or vac leaks etc.....?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Well the chip being ordered was vaguely stated lol! Hope you get it worked out!
His wideband was snug no exhaust leaks or vac leaks etc.....?
It's a well kept and accurate dyno, wideband looked snugged. No vac leaks, the intake was looked over in the past and possible leak areas sealed, exhaust was also in bad shape (leak wise) when I got it, new header gaskets with badass locking bolts we installed.

Last edited by darkmach1; 10-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

There more to a tune than just timing.
I would talke a look at the fuel regulator.......

Quick Reply: But wait there's hope! *Dyno Content*