5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is it really worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
JustinF

Default Is it really worth fixing?

So heres my story. I'm 16 and my uncle offered me his '86 Mustang GT. Me being 16 I gladly accepted the opportunity. I went to get it to find this thing is a complete rolling junker. It has no engine, transmission, the interior is a wreck, and there is rust everywhere. Not to mention that he sold it to a guy who "Crashed into a bus with it".

My dad, and my other uncle, are trying to talk me out of spending a dime on it. My dad has even gone as far as bribing me with a '97 Pontiac Grand Prix in return that I scrap or sell it. As I sit here today, I cant help but think why not make some cash off of it, yet another side of me is telling me keep it, fix it over time, and I'll have something special and rare that I built myself.

So I find myself here asking, Is it really worth fixing? I obviously lack the income to. Older Pics Below, I'll take some new ones once it stops dumping down rain.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Ive seen cars in worse shape than that , in the right hands and some patience come out of a garage looking damn near brand new. But like you say you have limited funds, and probly limited experience only being 16. There is a lot of fab work to be done on that front end for sure. This includes cutting welding , and even likely fabbing some replacement part. I see a lot of bent twisted metal, and without even seeing the frame I can guess it needs a lot of work also. Id say in this case your father knows best. Take the grand prix and have a driver for now. Save some money and then sell the prix later and buy a runner.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

It's a no brainer. Listen to your Dad.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Sell it to someone that needs it for parts. It's not worth a lot of money but it's worth something to someone that needs a parts car. Your Dad and Uncle are right. When you get a steady job and money coming in, you can find a foxbody that you can crank up and drive.

Last edited by Mike T; 01-11-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

If you had the experience/income, I'd vote yes. I would sell it in your case. There's a lot of fab work needed there.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Dad will never lead you astray. But that still doesnt stop my19 & 20 year old from ignoring me all the time.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Tom V
It's a no brainer. Listen to your Dad.

I would ask even dad for the Grand Prix & put the 5.0 in storage until your in a postion to do it right. They are getting harder to find.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't even bother with it. There are so many foxes out there that are a much better candidate for restoration than this one.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ouch.....yeah, I'd agree with the others, it's scrap unless you have a lot of coin, the front end needs a lot of straightening.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I have the time and would have the money.
I say 'scrap it' as it wouldn't be worth the time/money to fix it..........

Quick Reply: Is it really worth fixing?