5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is my car cammed? (VIDEO inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Default Is my car cammed? (VIDEO inside)

This is somewhat embarrassing but after my complete intake system was installed my exhaust sounds completely different. I'm not sure if its because there so much air going in now that it makes the exhaust louder, or what?

The car kinda sounds cammed to me, when I purchased the car the guy I bought from never did any mods to it, but he was also the 6TH OWNER, which means in all those other owners mods could have been forgotten from one guy to the other. It could be cammed, because the guy I bought it from couldnt tell his *** from his elbow, he said the car had an h pipe, when it was an X pipe clear as day.

ALSO, one of my friends suggested that after the intake install, the car will run rich, which will make it sound "louder". Idk if thats true or not. Heres the sound clip, is it cammed or not?

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9...xlhhaddbjg.mp4

Last edited by lts_Mr_Yum_Yum; 01-25-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I hate to say it but no that is not from it having an upgraded cam in it.
That is from the different air readings the maf is sending the ecm it may clear up and run normal again once the ecm learns where to keep the timing and airfuel mix .
I assume it didn't lope like that before the intake swap. That loping is because the ecm is using the settings it had before the intake. You may need to clear the ecm out by disconnecting the battery for at least 30 mins . Do the idle relearn and then give it some time to readjust all the settings . The adaptive learning on these cars can take some time to sort things out, it may take 25 miles or 100 miles .
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I hate to say it but no that is not from it having an upgraded cam in it.
That is from the different air readings the maf is sending the ecm it may clear up and run normal again once the ecm learns where to keep the timing and airfuel mix .
I assume it didn't lope like that before the intake swap. That loping is because the ecm is using the settings it had before the intake. You may need to clear the ecm out by disconnecting the battery for at least 30 mins . Do the idle relearn and then give it some time to readjust all the settings . The adaptive learning on these cars can take some time to sort things out, it may take 25 miles or 100 miles .
That's what I was thinking. And no it didn't lope like that before the intake. I did do the idle relearn already. Left the battery unplugged for an hour. I haven't drove it at all today, ill get it on the road maybe tomorrow night or Sunday. I'm still sortin out why the gas pedal is so stiff now, it was smooth as butter with the old intake.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Ya definatly get that cable sorted out . I don't know if you read the other comment I left in the other post you made yet or not , but if the cable is not in line it will be stiff or if the spring is stretched further . Like I said I had to bend my cable bracket to get it back in line cause it was stiff too at first.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Ya definatly get that cable sorted out . I don't know if you read the other comment I left in the other post you made yet or not , but if the cable is not in line it will be stiff or if the spring is stretched further . Like I said I had to bend my cable bracket to get it back in line cause it was stiff too at first.
I read it, and that was probably what I'm going to have to do, probably bend the bracket a little further back. Because its still the same spring. I didn't really notice a big difference in the size of the throttle body and trickflow elbow, but now that it's actually on the car, it must be a big difference in length because the pedal is just ridiculously stiff, and driving it like that is sketchy because I'm pressing it so hard to push down the pedal I'm giving it occasional whiskey throttles and the car just jumps! Scary..
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Sounds like my car did when I got a big vacuum leak on my intake manifold. I made a pass at the track and pulled back into the staging lanes and my car was all of sudden cammed lol sounded great but ran rich as crap at idle. Also it didn't change how the car ran.

I'd just check behind your work and make sure all vacuum ports are plugged up