5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Thought I found some sweet headers... Did I find something better???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:29 AM
boosted AWD
1st Gear Member

Default Thought I found some sweet headers... Did I find something better???

I found these hooker super comp long tubes on an 89 fox body at the local pick a part. I thought wow, what an awesome find!

Well, 1.5 hours in to taking these things off I notice a 351W stamped on the top of the block. I promptly googled whether 302 and 351 headers were interchangeable. After a limited amount of research i determined they're interchangeable but there may be some clearance issues. I'm sold and spend ANOTHER 1.5 hours removing and buying these things for $35 a piece.

When i got home I looked at the bbk shorties that came with my 88 5.0 and noticed how terribly different the bolt pattern is from my new junkyard headers' bolt pattern. What gives?? I thought the 351 and the 302 had the same heads/exhaust ports???

1. Did that 351W have some kind of crazy awesome aftermarket heads with giant exhaust ports that required such ridiculously large long tubes?

2. Should/can I go back to the junkyard first thing in the morning and grab those heads to slap on my 302 w/ e303 cam and cobra upper lower?

3. Are these headers worth anything with the dents and ****? How much could i resell them for and what would i say they are?? haha

4. I am able to return them within 30 days if that's the better option??

Name:  20130308_104638.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  20130308_104613.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  20130308_104600.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  20130308_104538.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  116.9 KB
Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

GO BACK AND BUY THE HEADS THESE WERE BOLTED TO........
That bolt pattern is for an aftermarket head like a TFS high port.
BTW, Hooker headers are sort of famous for having final fit problems, thats why I have a nearly new set up in my storage loft..........
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

THE ABOVE! GO BACK IMMEDIATELY!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Lucky mother effer. Get your *** back there now,like yesterday.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd see if they are old tfs high ports, like said , they are of a tfs high port pattern and I'd look closer at the heads and see if they might be the old tfs cast iron high ports, if they are, they carry a little value
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

While they may be the TFS high port iron heads. That pattern did not come on the old TFS heads you had to drill them for it. The old TFS had a stock pattern that was just raised .75 of a inch.That pattern came out on the old Alan Root head that came out when the 5.0 was taking off but that head never came in iron. I have also seen adapter plates so you could add the big tube headers to stock heads. So I guess we will just all have to wait and see.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by uedlose
While they may be the TFS high port iron heads. That pattern did not come on the old TFS heads you had to drill them for it. The old TFS had a stock pattern that was just raised .75 of a inch.That pattern came out on the old Alan Root head that came out when the 5.0 was taking off but that head never came in iron. I have also seen adapter plates so you could add the big tube headers to stock heads. So I guess we will just all have to wait and see.
listen to this guy^^^^ he knows!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM
boosted AWD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
I went back to check out the situation and quickly found the adapters you mentioned (before i read this). The heads were cast iron and probably e7's. I'm sure they were ported at least but so are mine so I grabbed the adapters and left.

Should I use these big tube headers or stick to the bbk shorties it came with? (I currently have ported stock heads, e303 cam, cobra upper and lower, 70mm throttle, CAI, bbk shorties,off road H pipe and flowmasters)

Will these beat up hooker headers and a bassani X pipe show a significant improvement over my current shorties and H pipe?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

As beat up as those headers are I really wonder if they are worth putting on the car.
You could try and repair them but I think you would find that futile.
They would help in the lower RPM ranges however if you could fix them.......
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
listen to this guy^^^^ he knows!!!
LOL just showing my age LOL

OP, they can be fixed and stud gun and a slide hammer works wounders But that being said those are not cheap headers. I dont think you will like the ground clearance with them on a 302. if they even work. I also think they are way to big for your comb. maybe sell them or hold on to them for a big CID 351 engine.

Quick Reply: Thought I found some sweet headers... Did I find something better???