5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

IM BACK!!.. 4 years and 6 vehicles later! ---PICS---

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD
$1800? Jeez.. if you decide the car isn't worth the effort, you could part it out and make all your money back and then some with ease.

Nice pick-up! As always though, buying used foxes can either be great, or bad (all depending on what the person leaves out during the sales pitch). Sorry to hear about the problems with the fox, hope everything works out for ya!
Around here (in the rust belt), he could make $1k on that car without lifting a finger, even with those problems. $2800 and it would sell in a single day.

I bought my rust free'91 GT, bone stock (ABSOLUTELY stock, air silencer, original exhaust, EVERYTHING) for $3600 w/76,000 miles the first day it was put out for sale. The seller received over 20 calls for it that day, including 3 while I was looking it over. It was unadvertised. That was just from people calling him from stopping and looking at the for sale sign.

$1800 is a score for sure!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

thanks guys.. I'm continuing to find more little problems here and there.. nothing too serious... just more stuff to throw money at.. trying to figure out where to draw the line on what to fix/replace, and leave.. and its all starting to compound on its self..

for instance.. i think I'm having an issue with alternator bc of UDP's..battery was dead, took it to get tested and showed 19 CCA's out of the 690 its rated.. and it said 'replace'.. i said no fck that.. trickle charge it for me, and ill come back and pick it up.. tested it at pick up.. pushing 560 CCA's now.. so wether its a bad cell, or the alternator.. i don't know.. next step is to take alternator down there and have them run that.. either way, this could end up being a 250-300 problem (battery/alt) or no problem, it just needed a charge.

got the mark 8 fan.. won't fit.. its about a half inch to deep and fan motor hits water pump pulley.. but looks like i MIGHT be able to trim the shroud and make it work.. (lets hope)..

tires on it were **** to begin with.. but i figured fck it.. they hold air and roll, right?... after looking closer, they are dry rot to all hell, and could blow out any day.. not a main problem as i have to be able to start it with out dumping the clutch every time first always.. plus i have a guy offering me 4 lug cobra R's with tires for 100$..

anyways.. just seems like problem after problem.. and after the registration fee's of $400.. I'm tapped for about 2 weeks..

oh and also, if you look around the engine bay, theres about 15 wiring harness plugs/connectors just hangin out......... A/C was taken off, so maybe that has to do with some of it.. my favorite, is the Tap-Con screw in one of the vacuum hoses coming off the tree. lol..

ill keep ya'll posted.. thanks for the good words tho!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Ok... Before you go buck wild on that thing... My offer of $2800 is serious if you bring it here... NE Indiana... My car is too "nice" and "original" to really cut up... That thing is perfect for the drag car I wish my heart could bare to turn mine into.

In regard to your MK8 fan, here's what you need to do to make it fit (keeping in mind, if I buy your car, I don't want it all f'd up... )

Go down to your local REAL lumber yard and but some ACTUAL 1" thick wood.. This isn't the normal S4S crap that you usually buy (a 2x4 isn't actually 2x4, it's 1.5 x 3.5, that's "S4S")... When I did my MK8 swap what the lumber yard had that was actually 1" thick I think they called 5/4s inch or some such thing. Apparently it's common for deck boards.

Anyhow, get some of that stuff, cut a piece to the INTERIOR length of your shroud, and another for the height, then get your router our with a tracing bit and thin it down. That will take almost exactly 1/2" out of the thickness of it.

See the pics (I also had to trim the "upper" cooling tab off of the fan motor to make mine clear the BUTTON HEAD fasteners I installed on the water pump... but it did clear)!
Attached Thumbnails IM BACK!!.. 4 years and 6 vehicles later! ---PICS----dscn0025.jpg   IM BACK!!.. 4 years and 6 vehicles later! ---PICS----dscn0024.jpg   IM BACK!!.. 4 years and 6 vehicles later! ---PICS----dscn0027.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

very nicely done! ill keep this in mind! i was thinking about doing something along these lines!

and as far as bring it to indiana... dont hold your breath!! lol.. although i HAVE been thinking about taking the motor and t5 out and selling the car as a roller.. and putting the motor/t5 into an old 50-60's pick up. or like i said before.. if i could find a new edge or SN95 roller..

just not sure yet what i want to do..

thanks for the words brotha
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Enjoy the fox! I sold my 07 gt for a 91 coupe, never looked back.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

How much is your tax and registration out there?! Mine only cost $30 for two years.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Thanks man! My Mark 8 swap was a bit of a nightmare. Trimming, fitting, and body working that fan took an insane amount of time (seriously... probably 150 hours, because I just couldn't leave it alone...)

That picture doesn't show it, but I had to remove the mounting ears for the router to be able to trace down the side (which was no big deal for me, since I wanted to delete the ears anyhow)... With something like a dremel w/tracing bit and extension driveshaft, and a lot of patience, you could probably make it work with the ears intact.

If it's function about all else, just lop those ears off and zip tie it to the radiator.

Personally... I think you should keep the Fox.. Because... Well... Foxes rule... Plus if you want to pick up 40 year old ex-rocker chicks, it's the car of choice. (Seriously.. Mine gets crazy looks from that crowd when I take it to the grocery store or some other mundane place!)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

hahahah i know man. joe dirt all the way. 'DEF LEOPARD SUCKS!'

but i dunno. it needs a lot of work.. and i knew tat getting into it.. but lately i can't get **** to go right while trying to fix **** on this heap.. but it has tons of potential..

thanks again
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Baaa... The road to Rome wasn't paved, nor destroyed, in a day. You'll get there.

If nothing else, this seems like it will be an excellent learning experience for you. Guys pay LOTS of money to learn about the things you're spending your time and $10 here or there on. There's an unspeakable amount of value in that alone, even if you do decide to sell the car.

...and... That car doesn't need "a lot" of work... My first project car cost $100, had most of its drivetrain in the cargo area, its previous owner and his german shepard were LIVING in it, and it came home on the hook. About $2k and probably a thousand hours later, I took it out for the first drive (you can't imagine how proud I was)! In terms of monetary investment I would have done better investing in beer or hookers, but in terms of learning experience I couldn't have done any better anywhere else.

Keep progressing and keep learning... You're gonna fall in love.