5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Rear end gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

Default Rear end gears

hey guys I just got my 4.10 gears in and I have a few questions. So i feel confindent that I can change them out myself the only thing I am having trouble with is the backlash. What exactly do I need to do? I understand that you have to shim the sides back and forth. if I just use the same shims as before will it be good? also with the pinion gear if I use the old shims from my original pinion will it also be good or do I need to use brand new shims? and where can I rent the measurement tool for the backlash?
Thanks!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if they are ford racing gears, you can often reuse the oem pinion shim, as for carrier shims for backlash, put them in and check the backlash, if it falls within spec, then yes you can, if not then you'll have to adjust accordingly, to check backlash, you need a dial indicator and to set crush collar/ pinion preload, a torque wrench that measures in inch lbs. A lot of people use the beam type, which IMO is a **** poor way, as I use one that measures rotational drag = proper tool, but most won't pucker up to the price of such, so use what you got
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

where can i rent a dial indicator?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't "rent" any precision instrument. If you actually care about whatever it is that you need a dial indicator for, go buy one... get a junk set for all the neat mounting options, toss the junk china gauge it comes with, then drop ~$125 on a good Starrett.

Tools ain't cheap...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by gyouska
where can i rent a dial indicator?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Mitotoyo also makes some good dial indicators, had mine for 33 years and still works great.
Cost will be somewhat less than a Starrett.......
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I'll get behind the quality Mitutoyo as well, but Starrett is still US made.

At a quick glance, Mituyoto is about $10 cheaper than Starrett. I can afford the $10 to Americans working.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

alright guys I just got my pinion out so You think I should just have the original shim put on with a new bearing?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Without trying to sound like a jerk, I think you should enlist the help of someone that has done a gear swap before.

Out in Utah there should be TONS of offroad shops that swap gears many times a day. I would seek one out that is willing to let you watch and ask a couple of questions. Or, find the local Jeep club and make the same offer to their membership.

If you're dead set against getting some on site help... yes, start with the stock shim and see how it looks.

edit: In regard to watching and learning, if you stay back 3' feet, keep your hands in your pockets, and be respectful most techs don't mind at all. I've had quite a few that were delighted to help teach my something, especially since most of it was "hot rodding" this, that or the other thing. I would, and have, tip the tech/shop for helping me out like that. Skinning a couple of $20s for your knowledge is dirt cheap.

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 04-18-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

I actually have a friend who is a shop tech so I get his opinion whenever I need it but sometimes its easier to see what other people have done when swapping their gears since they have the same car haha. but I finished today but there is a grinding noise on my decceleration im thinking the pinion needs to be tightened more. I posted a thread about it.

Quick Reply: Rear end gears