5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Guy seeking advice on where to go with his '91 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
thefonz

Default New Guy seeking advice on where to go with his '91 Mustang

Hey guys. I'll keep it short. I've had my '91 mustang for a few years. Now I'm in place where I can afford to work on it .

What's in it:

Small edlebrock upper and lower intake.
Shorty Headman Hedders.
Offroad X-Pipe.
3.73 gears.
Axles. (I think 31 spline, long time ago.)
Full length subframe connectors (its a Vert).
4 point cage.

Beyond that, stock.

oh, I forgot. Custom vacuum leaks!

I'm not 100% where I want to go with this car. It's gonna live most of its life on the street with occasional trips to the strip and track.

I was thinking of a turbo set up. Some people have advised a supercharger. I would prefer to avoid spray. I could use any advice. I love this car. I want to keep it for many years. I also want it to haul. I'd say 12's would be amazing. Beyond that I would guess I'd be waaay to invested and the car would be more pain than fun. Ultimately, I'd like a fast weekend car.

So, anyone have good advice? Don't spare the details, I need to learn a lot. What related things will I need? IE. a chip to retune. ODB1 can be chipped right?

Also. The suspension is original.... help me!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

well you could probabl hit close to 12's with good suspension and h/c/i and you have the intake already. I dont know what your budget looks like but I would say the victor jr. kit would be really nice in making it closer to 12's. You can get a eliminator chip from AM and that should be fine but somehow these cars seem to do better at accepting nontuned setups then the obd2's in my experience. I would say hitting 12's with a vert is a bit harder so you would need a spray or a bit more of a boost
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I think you would benefit from checking out the first two articles I wrote about upgrading my 5.0. Cliff's Notes: 1st article ran 12s on the stock motor. 2nd article ran 11s with boost on the stock motor.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._lx/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ded/index.html
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I'm with the others, a set of aftermarket heads, 65/70mm throttle body, 70/73/76mm MAF, 24# injectors, and good tires will get you into the 12's, with full interior etc. If your engine has a lot of miles on it, another route you can take (you'll still need the above) is to build a 331 or 347. Unless you stroke, supercharge, or turbo, a tune is not required.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

We have similar goals... I have 3 questions, auto or manual trans, what's the budget like, and what are the tech rules at your track for 'verts (I believe NHRA requires a *5* point bar for 'verts 13.99 and quicker)?

My thoughts on my own car, with similar goals in mind (and my funding is not unlimited):

4.11s
GT40 Heads, Cobra Intake, all are ported and gasket matched
E cam (or similiar)
Taking weight off the nose (my next step, and probably biggest hitter, is a tubular K member since I need to rebuild all the steering and suspension anyhow)
Upgraded rear suspension (Strange 10 ways, battle boxes, debating between UPR and Maximum Motorsports links)
Sticky tires, but not DOT slicks

Here's where we differ.. I have no problem dumping a 100 shot into it, especially with the deep gears and stick (I can spray after the 60' mark). On the spray, that combo should be good for somewhere around 350rwhp, which I'm actually hoping with good driving, chassis tuning, and luck will dip into the high 11s... On the street, low 13s is a freaking fun car to drive around, so getting there with N2O doesn't offend me all that much.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM
thefonz

I'm more street than strip. AFAIK NHRA is 4 point for verts 13.99 or quicker. Manual Trans. I haven't budgeted yet. I want to learn more and decide on what I want, then work out what I can afford.

Thanks for the articles. I'll read em as soon as I get the time. Too late tonight
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

get a different cam then the E cam. It is very nice and streetable but 15 years old atleast, much better grinds for what your looking for so I would say hit up lunati or crower about a custom ground cam and lunati always has the nicest idle anyways the E cam is good but there is much better cams out there now
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pedalhappy
get a different cam then the E cam. It is very nice and streetable but 15 years old atleast, much better grinds for what your looking for so I would say hit up lunati or crower about a custom ground cam and lunati always has the nicest idle anyways the E cam is good but there is much better cams out there now
"(or similar)"

----

I hate to link to the chevy's, but ALL of my research has shown this to be true...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/convertibl...s-rollbar.html

"For convertible vehicles it is like this

13.49 or faster requires a 5pt bar
that means the hoop (with crossbar), 2 rear bars and a drivers side door bar."

Assorted places I read 13.99, others 13.49... They ALL say 5 point bar..

Wolfe Racecraft also says their 4 point isn't NHRA legal..

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=787

It also appears that you'll need a 5 way harness to go with your 5 point bar.

All of the info I'm finding is rather old (2010-ish) so maybe the rules have lightened?

anyhow, moving past getting thrown out of the track... What thoughts are you having about hitting your number?